Mapped drives on wireless connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by greg.smid, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. greg.smid

    greg.smid Guest

    I have a small home network set up through a Linksys WRK54G wireless
    router. Two PCs connect directly to the router via Ethernet cable, and
    my laptop connects through a Motorola wireless card. All three
    computers are running XP Pro. PC_B and the laptop both have a network
    drive mapped to \\PC_A\Folder.

    My problem is that the mapped drive on the laptop doesn't seem to be
    connecting properly. When I first boot up, I see a message that says
    "Could not reconnect all network drives" but I think that might be
    because it tries to connect before the wireless utility launches. Once
    everything is up and running, I open My Computer, and there isn't a red
    X through the mapped drive. BUT, when I try to open it up, I get a
    message saying "An error occurred reconnecting Z: to \\PC_A\Folder.
    Microsoft Windows Network: The network path was not found. This
    connection has not been restored."

    Now the really strange part: if I power-cycle my wireless router, I
    can connect to the mapped drive, and stay connected until the next time
    I reboot the laptop!

    The same network drive is mapped on PC_B, which has a wired connection
    to the router. It has no problems connecting any time.

    Any ideas?

    greg.smid, Jun 15, 2006

  2. Hi

    Whether you use Wire or Wireless there is No difference in the way Files are
    shared and drives are mapped.

    If your Wireless connection is working we (I.e. you can surf the Internet
    with the Wireless computer) then you need to make sure that your Sharing
    configuration is set correctly.

    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    to be shared.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 15, 2006

  3. greg.smid

    greg.smid Guest

    Hi Jack, thanks for your reply.

    I know that Wired vs. Wireless *shouldn't* make a difference, but it
    seem that in this case, it is.

    - PC_A is wired to the router, and has some shared files.
    - PC_B is also wired to the router, and it can access those files at
    any time, I've never had a problem there.
    - PC_C is my wireless laptop. It can't access the files when it first
    boots, and will continute to be unable to access them until I power the
    router off and on. As soon as the router is back up, I can access
    files from the laptop... no settings changed.

    I'm really stumped... the only thing I can think of is that there's a
    problem with the router. I haven't had a chance to check for updated
    firmware yet, I'm off to do that now.

    Greg

    greg.smid, Jun 20, 2006