Many Recent New files in Norton Internet Security Directory?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RB, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. RB

    RB Guest

    It appears that a large number of files (over 1000) have been added to my

    .....Application Data\Symantec\Norton Internet Security

    directory over the past two days or so. These are ecrypted files with hex
    filenames. I did a search on google and saw a comment that the files in this
    directory are used to automatically create rules when using the Auto
    Configuration feature. Another comment suggested that these files allow
    certain unnamed companies/products access through the firewall (presumably
    in exchange for having paid Symantec for the privilege).

    Can anyone shed any further light on this subject, and in particular why the
    number of these files seems to have increased significantly in the past
    couple of days?

    Thanks
    RB

    RB, Aug 21, 2004

  2. RB

    NeoSadist Guest

    Back them up somewhere and then delete them, and/or shut off auto-configure.
    I prefer to shut off auto-configure itself.

    NeoSadist, Aug 21, 2004

  3. RB

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Possibly due to changes, and requirements, resulting in preparation of SP2.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 23, 2004