Many dropouts when connecting two laptops

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Someone Beneath the Blue Sky, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Hello all,

    I have an old notebook, running win2k, I've connected an 802.11b USB
    Wireless Adaptor from Blitz.

    In infrastructure mode, it can't see anything and it seems the
    wireless is disconnected (I see the Local Area Connection icon on my
    tray list as disconnected ), but in adhoc mode it shows up as
    connected, and I never see any errors/disconnections whatever they are
    in this computer.

    I have a new notebook with a mini pci wireless intel 802.11b/g,
    running xp sp2. It's configured in adhoc mode as well, and gets
    disconnected every 5 minutes. The signal strength is always 100%.

    I need to know if the problem is from the usb adaptor (because I guess
    it's from a poor quality, but it never says anything is wrong !) or
    from a bad configuration/setting in the new laptop.

    Also any help to resolve the problem is so appreciated.

    It may be un-related to this issue, but I have enabled internet
    connection sharing on the older laptop (which is connected to a DSL
    modem), and have fixed the IP addresses for both laptops.

    Thanks in advance,

    Someone Beneath the Blue Sky, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Do you have an access point so you can see infrastructure networks?
    Otherwise, if all you have is an adhoc network there won't be any
    infrastructure networks available.

    As far as your "disconnect every 5 minutes" problem... that may be related
    to you using an adhoc network. The two adapters you are using my not
    interoperate well together using adhoc mode. A more reliable option is to
    purchase a wireless Access Point and have the clients connect to each other
    through the Access Point.

    --
    Jeff Baziuk
    Microsoft Corporation