    all my manual focus needs. But if I could save some dollars on a
    non-SLR digital...

    Shnaggletooth

    shnaggletooth, Jan 25, 2005

  2. shnaggletooth

    FoulDragon Guest

    Well, I can't say it works the same on all cameras, but here's how my silly
    little Rollei D330 does it.

    1- press "zoom / manual focus" button

    b- use telephoto/wide angle buttons to adjust focus.

    It's sort of slow, and there's a touch of lag. There's no "set to x.xx metres"
    indication of *where* you're focussing, like there is by reading the SLR lens
    rings

    I'm also not certain the small screens will give you the control necessary for
    good adjustment.

    Your experience and camera will likely vary.

    FoulDragon, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Easy on the Panasonic FZ20 - there a focus ring to rotate (just like on
    old fashioned lenses) and the viewfinder magnifies the central area of the
    image to make fine adjustment easy. A problem you may have with any
    non-SLR camera is that the depth of field will be much greater due to the
    smaller sensor and lens, making the background appear less out of focus.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 25, 2005
  4. shnaggletooth

    Darrell Guest

    Sof focus is not out-of-focus, there is a difference.

    Darrell, Jan 25, 2005
  5. shnaggletooth

    stans4 Guest

    On my Canon, you punch the Manual Focus button(MF), then you can use
    the little rubberized wheel/switch on top of the hand grip to focus.
    You use the same wheel to adjust aperture and speed in manual mode,
    click it to change. Kind of puts me in mind of an old Zeiss focusing
    wheel except it doesn't wear the finger out. I've used it a lot,
    particularly in macro mode where I want one item to have the focus and
    the rest blurred out. Displays a bar on the LCD panel for the
    distance. The lens is reasonably responsive. Canon has the manual
    available for download off their website should you want more info.

    Soft focus isn't the same as out-of-focus, though. For soft focus, I'd
    rather use the filter snoot and a suitable filter. Not sure what other
    makes have available for filter atachments, Canon has both their own
    brand(plastic "lens adapter") and aftermarket(aluminum) snoots
    available.

    Best bet is to try both at a retailer and see for yourself. Everyone
    has their own preferences, Canon's particular control combination works
    for me. The G6 is a lot more compact than the SLRs are, but you can
    still use the thicker CF micro-drives and also external flashes. It's
    a lot in a small package.

    Stan

    stans4, Jan 26, 2005
  6. shnaggletooth

    wilt Guest

    On my Canon G2, it works like the G6 mentioned. But one additional
    detail...the camera can be made to 'zoom' into a small portion of the
    entire frame in a magnified view, so you can more easily SEE what is in
    focus vs. out of focus.

    wilt, Jan 27, 2005