    positions.

    Which cameras should I look for in the reviews?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Morgan Ohlson

    Lucas Tam Guest

    What is your budget?

    Lucas Tam, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Main thing is that I'm going to use the camera very seldom. Probably below
    100 pictures /year.

    ....so it's not relly the wallet that is the limit. It's more that I don't
    want to spend to much on a digicam wich basicly could be a 1Mpix.

    Some years ago a took a lot of pictures and may, probably also use the
    digicam to take some demanding shots now and then. Once or twice a year. But
    not on a scheme...

    The Canon S50 seems as a good camera but it hurts to pay that much when
    there are cameras 150-200$ below.

    Manual focus still is a must.

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Morgan Ohlson

    Lucas Tam Guest

    In this case... you may want to consider a regular film camera. Because if
    you use your camera this seldom, it doesn't pay to go digital. To make
    matters worse, the camera you bought this year will only be 50% the price
    next year.
    I would definately get a regular film camera in your case. If you want to
    go (semi) digital, you can get the film converted to a picture/photo cd.

    Lucas Tam, Oct 20, 2003
  5. I agree 100%. If you shoot less than 100 photos in an entire year, there's
    no reason to buy any digital camera at all, not even a cheaper 2 megapixel
    like I currently own (Nikon Coolpix 775).

    I like the serious abilities of my film-based Nikon N80 35mm SLR, but I have
    found many situations where, despite my best efforts, no way in the world am
    I going to get anything besides snapshot-results out of it; the lightning is
    horrible, the background is very cluttery with people's bags and so forth
    and I can't throw it out of focus with a wide aperture--different things.
    Yet I want something out of it, and I want to be able to shoot all I want
    without regard to film (and processing) costs. The digital was perfect for
    that. It was also perfect for my wife who finds even a Nikon N65 (which has
    a full-blown point & shoot mode) intimidating. Meanwhile, if I am shooting
    some very "serious" matters and want the highest capabilities and qualities
    available to me (scenics I shoot in my photography club in particular come
    to mind), I still have my Nikon N80 for that.

    Digital is evolving all the time. No sooner have I been lustifully eyeing
    the Nikon Coolpix 5700 as the ultimate non-SLR type of digital camera than I
    read about the new Sony DSCF828. Imagine--an 8 megapixel camera at that
    price range, not to mention a great old-fashioned manual zoom! Why in the
    world consider a Coolpix 5700 if you can get an 8 megapixel model for not
    much more--unless there's a price break to be had. (Yes, I know--it's not
    all about megapixels, but you can't deny that Sony is a very alluring
    model.) And wouldn't you feel rotten if you invest in something like
    that--or a Sony DSC717 for that matter (highly equivalent to the Nikon
    Coolpix 5700)--only to see a model like that Sony hit the scene?

    Now, in my case, and with others who shoot lots of photographs to the extent
    that the digital pays for itself in no time due to savings in film costs,
    purchasing one is a no-brainer. But for someone who shoots only 4 rolls of
    24-exposure film a year, no way is it worthwhile to go to digital,
    especially with digital evolving as it is.

    Now, if you want to dabble in any digital form, if you really want to buy
    something digital for your home, try a film scanner. With such a tool as
    that, you can digitize anything you shoot on film, even your slides--and
    obviously this would also go for anything you've shot on film before (or
    slides) you still have the originals of.

    For a $100 or less you can get the Hewlett Packard S20 which scans films and
    slides--far superior to regular print scanning. Its 2400 dpi resolution
    isn't as good as, say, the Minolta's Dimage Scan III's 2820 dpi or
    especially the 4000 dpi you can get from fancy Canon, Kodak or Nikon models,
    but it's good enough to actually make respectable 8x10s of, I have found.
    (Others may differ in their opinion.)

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Check:
    http://www.dcviews.com/_Olympus/4000.htm
    http://www.dcviews.com/_Canon/a70.htm
    http://www.dcviews.com/_Minolta/f100.htm
    http://www.dcviews.com/_Minolta/f200.htm
    http://www.dcviews.com/_Canon/a80.htm
    http://www.dcviews.com/_Olympus/0040.htm

    Ronny

    Ronny Svensson, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Morgan Ohlson

    Samuel Paik Guest

    Two more choices, if the original poster wants the immediate feedback of
    digital, is to rent or to buy used (the E-20 might be suitable).

    Sam

    Samuel Paik, Oct 20, 2003

  8. Can anyone take a guess on the lifespan on digicams... considered that it
    only will be used now and then. Mostly collecting moist :eek:/ that
    is.....

    Do you think that a cam like Canon s50 will survive longer (used seldom)
    than the ones that Ronny mentions ?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Oct 21, 2003