Manual, etc for laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Robert Baer, Feb 21, 2014.

  1. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    I just got an AST Ascentia A41 need i need to (1) replace the CMOS
    battery, and (2) put a hard drive in it.
    I found 5 screws on the bottom that hold it together, and
    pried/released the latches in the front at the keyboard.
    Two of those screws are in the back, left and right side; i can pry
    it apart in those areas, but the middle does not budge for squat.
    Keeping the front pried open using a pen, is of no help.
    The largest "comfortable" gap i can keep open is about 1/4 inch;
    along the front and to left and right at the back.

    The Baby Bird (GooGull) us useless to find manuals;
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ast+ascentia+a41+manual gives two sites that
    PRETEND to have manuals and one looks like a twin of the other.
    In any case, one selects the manual and gives a e-mail address.
    The next screen says "You will receive an email soon with the login
    details and a direct link to dowload your manual." (that is their spelling).
    Wait HOURS, get NOTHING.
    Absolute BS.

    So, how do i get a manual?

    Robert Baer, Feb 21, 2014

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    I can't find the A41. But considering the speed of the processor
    in this one, these are seriously antique pieces of kit. EDO DRAM ?

    https://web.archive.org/web/19970607073646/http://www.ast.com/americas/products/a-specs.htm

    AST is defunct now, so there's no modern website running.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AST_Research

    The funny thing is, even though the computer is sixteen or
    seventeen years old, people are still trying to sell main
    batteries, or power adapters for the thing.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 21, 2014

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    To make a pun, the "key" was to pry/lift the keyboard at the bottom
    left and right.
    Unplugging the 2 Kapton ribbon connectors was a little dicey (thus
    will be a bitch plugging back in).
    That made 5 screws available; removal allowed separation.
    The damn hard drive was not mounted to anything; it could easily
    rattle around and bump against anything.
    No wonder the BIOS or anything else could not find it; it was trashed.

    Robert Baer, Mar 9, 2014