Man gets nine years for spamming

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jim Watt, Apr 9, 2005.

  1. Jim you are a waste of human flesh...you really are...

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    your opinion is pretty worthless on that and computer security
    you are full of wind and little else. A number of us here do this
    stuff for a living and have done for a large number of years.

    Read more and spew less.

    Jim Watt, Apr 23, 2005

  3. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    I think, if you read back through what I've said, you'll find that I'm the
    logical one and that you have a total reading comprehension failure.

    As I said, WE, our company, has not need for exposing our services to the
    world - never suggested that OTHER companies do the same. I certainly
    didn't suggest that YOUR company should use the same block list, or any
    block list, at any time.

    Leythos, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    Actually, spam is a security issue, you don't don't look at security as
    deep as many other do. Spam steals company resources, both hardware and
    people resources. Spam may also contain look-back type links that display
    an image that indicate you've read the spam - which gives the spammer a
    known location of your network. Spam is more than just a nuisance.
    I've said that many times and you've failed to read/comprehend it many
    times. I've clearly said that it only works for companies that don't
    target areas in the block lists, and I've never even implied that it would
    work for any other company, especially not yours.

    Maybe you could get off your rant/high-horse and see that I've never
    indicated that this would work for you/your company.

    Leythos, Apr 23, 2005
  5. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    Why is it so difficult for YOU to understand that no one, especially me,
    suggested that this method works for you/your company or anyone else. I've
    clearly stated that I don't do business in certain foreign countries and
    will block those, never suggesting that you do the same.

    Read my reply slowly, it may sink in this time.

    Leythos, Apr 23, 2005
  6. Jim Watt

    Moe Trin Guest

    And how many st00pid prospective customers to you loose because they don't
    know any better than to send HTML mail - or even freakin' PowerPoint
    presentations to you as ordinary mail. I've got a sister that bad - and I
    have been pounding on her for years to not send me 'Multi-part Alternative'
    mail to no avail.
    The number of businesses that do not, and never will have, an international
    field far outnumber those that do, just as the number of businesses with
    totally clueless fools handling the network services far outnumber those
    with a functional brain.
    Well, at least we know you are not working with an airline because they
    have a presence in the countries where they do business (and in many
    cases, other countries as well).
    If your company wants to do business overseas, you should have a point of
    presence there - or at least nearby. Can't afford an office there? Fine,
    that's what reps are for.
    Must be wonderful to be perfect. Are you sure your alternate name isn't
    Alan Connor? Do you know how many countries there are with working
    intern et service? Do you do business in the Ukraine? How about Nigeria?
    Brazil? Actually, we do. In the case of Brazil, my phone book lists three
    offices, though I suspect one may be a local rep. All contact from Brazil
    is proxied through the Rio facility. Don't your DNS guys know how to do
    that?

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Jim Watt

    Moe Trin Guest

    Yes, Michael, read the preceding paragraph again, ESPECIALLY THE LAST
    SENTENCE! Hotmail is not used for a serious business. Apparently your
    company doesn't care how foolish they look, or they would have LARTed you
    severely.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Apr 24, 2005
  8. I do not agree with that statement. You can not tunnel in on a Palm (they do
    now have software but, I do not have it at this time). I did not have a
    laptop, just a palm...Furthermore, honestly, as a customer I choose how I
    am going to communicate NOT the vendor. In my situation, at a cafe, I need
    information. They lacked the ability to serve it. I scratched them from my
    list and I will do it again.

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005
  9. I filter html mail but, I only remove the HTML link tags from the links and
    language scripting. This mainly is to prevent those users that just love to
    blindly click...as for attachments, I use two techniques. For customers
    that we exchange a lot of data with, I use an sftp server. There is a nice
    client I found for it named winscp. I works nice and even novice users can
    use it. For those rare occasions when a customer does not have an account
    but, they need to send something that is otherwise filtered, I will tell
    them to rename the file extention as ".txt" then send it...
    Don;t get pissed. Since this stupid post has begun, people have been saying
    block this block that without realizing that it does not fit the type of
    company I work for...Now, I agree with you that if you can get away with
    blanket address blocking then it is not a bad idea. It certainly is the
    easyest and does not take much work or technical abilities.
    No, I do not work for an airline...
    I agree. Absolutely. However it is not my call. All I can do is the best I
    can with the restraints being what they are.
    First no reason to be sarcastic. It was, and still is, an honest
    question...I have received a lot of crap because I handle the problem of
    SPAM differently than most. I responded by asking a logical question. Why
    should I change when I can safely and effectively neutralize it without
    blanket IP block filtering. And still no one has answered it...and who the
    hell is Alan Connor? I sincerely hope we have not regressed to name
    calling. Don't make me break out my "moma" jokes...
    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005
  10. This is still not a security issue unless it is maxing out your resources
    then maybe you can argue that it is some kind of DOS...
    These numbers that you a referencing that usually attach at the end of a
    link that typically contains and image are really used to tell SPAMMERS if
    the email was read and hence it is an active email address. As far as
    "which gives the spammer a known location of your network" they already
    know where my network is if they sent email to me...

    nslookup -qt=MX domain.com
    traceroute <the result above>

    I can't really hide unless someone else is doing my email for me....
    I understand. I sometimes do wish I could do it your way. I really do.
    However, with how things are, it is just not possible. That is all I was
    saying....
    Wow. Honestly, I am most definitely not on any high horse. I am as about as
    average as average can be. I was quite surprised by the responses I
    received from a couple of you. Some of you were preaching like your way was
    the ONLY way. I was simply trying to say that it was NOT the only way. This
    frustrated me some because I am not used to technical people being so
    closed minded like that. Sometimes tempers flare, I am just as guilty as
    anyone else...

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005
  11. now, now. Read my other reply.

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005
  12. Jim, and trust me on this, but from reading your posts I will never seek
    advice from you. For this you will never have to worry. Second, you really
    should take your own advice. For I have not read one, not one, post from
    you that was even interesting let alone educational. In fact, I have
    summarized for sometime time that you are a worthless self righteous bag of
    ass gas...and you prove me right day by day. Thanks for at least that...

    P.S. Leave me alone as even insulting you has become boring.

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005
  13. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    None of us are close minded, we responded to you telling us that it would
    not work and should not be used.

    If you had started by saying that YOUR COMPANY could not use that method,
    and that it was a bad idea for YOUR COMPANY, we would have agreed with
    you. Instead, you slammed me and others for saying it worked for companies
    that didn't do business in the areas covered by the block lists that WE
    USE.

    You needed to settle down and understand that this thread reaches the
    world, that many companies don't do business all over the world (which
    includes THEIR sales people) and that block lists that include countries
    they don't do business with are very practical. This was then entire point
    of the block-list thread, it works well for companies/users that can
    implement it.

    Leythos, Apr 24, 2005
  14. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    You already think you know everything so why listen to anyone

    But its really boring reading your drivel.

    Jim Watt, Apr 24, 2005
  15. I never said that blanket IP blocking does not work. I simply listed that it
    does not work for all. Furthermore I also told of ways of doing it
    differently.

    When I originally posted. I was not post the info because of the "regulars"
    to this newsgroup. I was posting it so if someone like me was googling they
    could come across the info. As far as closed minded yes, some of you
    approached me in a very static mindset. I would have expected more people
    to ask how, why before making the kind of assumptions that were made. As a
    technical person, I enjoy seeing how other people are dealing with these
    types of problems even when I might not use them. Information learned is
    knowledge gained.
    Ask yourself this. Why did you assume? I never slammed you or anyone else. I
    said that doing that way was not possible for where I work. Furthermore, I
    was trying o show that it can be done in another way.

    I remember another guy who posted an article about SPF about a month ago. I
    read the posts and they were of the same situation as this one. People
    started a flame war back and forth. Well, I looked into SPF and is shows
    alot of promise. I would post some information about it what I found but,
    frankly, some people here have found one solution and are too rigid to look
    for other possibilities. Now, that is ok. It is just a shame that this
    newsgroup is supposed to be about discussions related to security both new
    and old techniques....
    I Never said differently. I was just trying to bring to light their are
    other ways. Other techniques. I still think it is funny that not one ever
    bothered to ask about some of the apps and tricks I have learned. Like I
    said before, I come here to learn as much as to contribute. No matter how
    long you have been doing this stuff you can always learn something new,
    well, if you really want to....

    In either case, I think it is time, been time for a while, for this thread
    to die...

    Later

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005
  16. ....no Jim. I just know more than you. In fact I would safely say most people
    here know more than you. So, I guess I am a very average.

    Jim, go back to what you know, sticking gerbils up your butt and peeking out
    of windows...

    As I said before, you are so lame that even insulting you has become
    boring...

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 24, 2005
  17. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    But that's not how you started your replies. You seemed to imply that
    blocking was not acceptable for anyone, and didn't seem to comprehend that
    it works quite well for some users/companies as a security means.
    No one bothered to ask you about them because of the way you entered this
    thread and the way you reply. If you had said something like "blocking
    works well for those that can use it, but I've also found that xyz works
    for those that can't block ranges", we would have been happy to discuss
    the entire range of solutions with you - still would if you can change the
    attitude you posted with.

    I learn new things every day, in fact I just built a small 8 child domain
    with 2 FE/BE Exchange servers and 4 dedicated Terminal Services servers
    to test an idea/method we might be using for a couple clients. I learned
    quite a bit about AD that I had not personally had to work with (in select
    areas) before.

    Post your method/testing results, in a constructive manner, we'll discuss
    them with you.

    Leythos, Apr 24, 2005
  18. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    You don't know what I know, and neither do you know
    what I don't know, but I do know you are a knowall.

    Jim Watt, Apr 24, 2005