    +++

    I hope he gets to share a cell with a sex starved multiple
    murderer.

    Jim Watt, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Jim Watt

    donnie Guest

    ###############################
    If he gets 9 years for spamming, that just shows how twisted America
    really is.
    donnie.

    donnie, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    If someone steal something serious from you, you expect
    the law to send them away - the spammers steal resources
    and time. If jailing a few deters the others I'm all for it.

    Jim Watt, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Jim Watt

    optikl Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    If jailing a few deters the others I'm all for it.
    Jim, I think you'll find that jail has never been much of a deterrent to
    illegal behavior. Any illegal behavior. It's punishment for unwanted
    behavior. Period. Which is fine and appropriate. But don't expect it to
    change behavior.

    optikl, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    I agree, we spend about $3,000 on software for two servers to detect and
    remove spam, not including the hours ever month to update detection rules,
    and then renew maintenance contracts, and that's just for the network
    Admin. Imagine how much better things would be if you didn't average 65%
    spam in your email box each week.

    We've been tracking the rejections (running about 35%) and the spam (about
    30%) for the last 6 months. During some periods the spam increases to
    about 50%, but it's been averaging about 30%, if not for the RBL's and
    spam filtering people would be inundated with filth, wasted time, spyware,
    and then phishing scams....

    On a server with about 85 users, we see around 8 virus infected emails
    discarded each day over the last month, which is down from 20+ per day
    before that.

    One other thing - we block all inbound connections from Asia and many
    non-US based addresses, but the spammers are smart enough to not use those
    IP's in many cases.

    Leythos, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    I vote for public hangings on each states capital court-house lawn, let
    them swing for 3 days, televise it, and then people will get the idea.

    Leythos, Apr 10, 2005
  7. Jim Watt

    Mark Gibson Guest

    For real serious crimes, try firing squads.

    Mark Gibson, Apr 10, 2005
  8. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    Hanging doesn't take as much money - Ammo, when you figure you have to use
    several guys to shoot, so that none knows who actually killed the
    criminal, runs about $0.50/round if you get factory ammo, and it makes a
    mess. If you hang them, unless the head separates from the neck, it's
    mostly clean - and you get to see them kicking sometimes.

    Leythos, Apr 10, 2005
  9. Jim Watt

    Mark Gibson Guest

    That's Rentertainment!

    Mark Gibson, Apr 10, 2005
  10. Jim Watt

    bowgus Guest

    There are protocols that could be implemented that would (will) end all the
    spamming, trojans, virii ... and why aren't they being implemented? My
    opinion ... too many people making darn good livings off this broken
    internet. If you (spam99free) are spending $3K, someone is making $3K :) To
    jail someone for spamming? Now where's the solution in that? If the system
    has a spamming vulnerability, fix the frikken system.

    bowgus, Apr 10, 2005
  11. Jim Watt

    Leythos Guest

    But you're only looking at one type of spam - there are legit servers that
    people spam from, look at BankOne, Citi, Microsoft, Sun, etc.... Next are
    all the companies you gave your email address too that in turn provided it
    to others....

    Killing the sender is the proper way - once it becomes to much trouble to
    send bulk spams they will move to something else.

    Leythos, Apr 10, 2005
  12. Guys there are open source solutions out there that a) do not cost anything
    and b) are very effective. I currently average 98% kill rate. It is not a
    big deal anymore...if I can do anyone can...

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 10, 2005
  13. Jim Watt

    optikl Guest

    I see Zero spam. Mailwasher Pro with the appropriate filters.

    optikl, Apr 10, 2005
  14. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On spammers? thats better than the iceman.
    Yes it is
    In the unlikely event someone needs advice on how to wank their
    way out of a paper bag, you are clearly the authority.

    Jim Watt, Apr 11, 2005
  15. Jim Watt

    Moe Trin Guest

    Previous convictions against spammers - there have been several, with
    multi-million dollar judgments for Earthlink and AOL among others - haven't
    had the desired effect.

    The Constitution prohibits hacking the klowns head off, and putting it
    on a pike in the middle of Wall Street, so if this guy ever does serve
    time, it will be an escalation in the never-ending war. Will it have the
    desired effect? I dunno, as a lot of the spammers are taking advantage
    of the lack of laws elsewhere.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Apr 11, 2005
  16. On detecting it and deleting...
    Only if your intelligence will not allow you to find a solution. I guess in
    your case i still is a problem.
    Ah, yes. Jim-the-gerbil-man. I see you still have to resort to foul language
    and sarcasm to mask your feelings of self inadequacy and limited
    brainpower. I am gonna give you some good advice that hopefully will help
    you. Get the gerbils out of your ass and pick up a book....You might
    actually work your way up to a contributing member of society....instead of
    your current "employment" of window peeping wackoff "artist"...jackass.

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 11, 2005
  17. Zero? How about the one SPAM one liners like:

    Click here http://www.whatever.com

    These are the ones that get through for me...

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 11, 2005

  18. ...little bit of a type-o above. I mean to say "What about the one line
    SPAMs" like:

    click here htpp://www.whatever.com

    These are the ones that get through sometimes...Although I filter out the
    HTML link (I leave the text but not the HTML code to make a clickable link)

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 11, 2005
  19. They need to make people pay for it. The question is how much? Obviously you
    need to make it so the crime does not pay. This is a problem for the
    American justice system. Some crimes do in fact pay...especially corporate
    ones.

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 11, 2005
  20. Jim Watt

    optikl Guest

    I have multiple filters. I don't just filter by content

    optikl, Apr 11, 2005