Makoko, Lagos - reportage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by allPhoto, Oct 6, 2010.

  1. allPhoto

    allPhoto Guest

    Makoko, Lagos - reportage
    For these who have seen the BBC reportage about Lagos and are
    interested in this topic - I followed them to the Makoko during my
    visit in Nigeria. Here are some pictures I took in this place:

    http://www.allphotolondon.com/galeria/thumbnails.php?album=54

    Makoko is a slum neighborhood located in Lagos, Nigeria.
    At present its population is considered to be around 100,000.
    It was established in the 18th century primarily as a fishing village,
    much of Makoko rests in structures constructed on stilts above Lagos
    Lagoon.
    Today the area is essentially self-governing with a very limited
    government presence in the community
    and local security being provided by so called "area boys".

    It's kind of amazing self - sufficient organism which coexist
    basically like a city within a city (of Lagos).
    It's got its own schools / hospital / petrol stations, shops etc.
    It provides large part of sea food for the city as well as is main
    center for wood processing.
    This is the story of the people who created something out of nothing
    (or anything)......

    Location: Lagos, Nigeria

    Join our group on FB to support the community:
    http://www.facebook.com/allphotolondon#!/group.php?gid=147203971965152&ref=mf

    allPhoto, Oct 6, 2010