    What sort of bandwidth does making a VOIP call actually use and do the
    suppliers allow you to use their service for VOIP?

    Thanks

    Murmansk69, Aug 25, 2008

  2. Murmansk69

    Brian A Guest

    I would think that the best way to do this would be to get a mobile
    phone that would enable a softphone such as 'Fring' to be installed.
    If the phone also does wifi then that might be used sometimes when
    available.
    Sitting at a laptop or attaching an adapter somehow to a laptop isn't
    very elegant but it is possible. Can use softphones such as x-lite.
    Varies according to codec. Look here:-
    http://www.erlang.com/bandwidth.html#SimpleCalculation
    I think that it varies. T-Mobile don't like it but I don't think that
    '3' mind as they already let people make calls via Skype.

    Brian A, Aug 25, 2008

  3. Alternatively, get a mobile phone, and rather than also get a dongle,
    get a cable to use the phone as a 'modem' to the laptop.

    then use the mobile phone to make calls on, as that's what it was
    designed for.
    A Standard call will use 64Kbps + an overhead of approx. 16Kbps. Using
    the GSM codec will need about 13Kbps + the 16Kbps overhead - easilly
    achievable, even with GPRS, let alone a "3g" connection.

    HOWEVER... Latency is rather high on mobile data connections. I have
    placd calls over them, and while usable, the actualy user experience
    isn't that good.
    AIUI - the Skype calls go over their "normal" voice network, and are
    converted to/from skype at their HQ ...

    So what I'm saying is: Keep It Simple, Stupid... Use a mobile phone for
    making calls, and use the same mobile with a USB cable, or a data dongle
    for Internet access, but don't mix them.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 25, 2008
  4. Murmansk69

    Murmansk69 Guest

    Thanks for those replies.

    I failed to mention that most of the phone calls will be to Malaysia,
    Canada and Hong Kong - current cost is huge on a pay as you go mobile
    but on Sipgate it would be a max of 2.5p per minute to landlines or,
    of course, free to another VOIP user

    Murmansk69, Aug 26, 2008
  5. Murmansk69

    Dave Saville Guest

    Go via an 084* number and Canada is 0.5p - No idea how mobiles charge
    for 084* numbers though.

    Dave Saville, Aug 26, 2008
  6. Minimum 15p/min I imagine, possibly more like 30p/min.

    What I've done is set up an Asterisk ringback system: ring 01xxx xxxxxx (a
    Sipgate number) from my mobile, it's engaged. Asterisk then rings me back,
    asks for a password and the number I want to dial. It then connects me.
    Both the inbound call to my mobile and the outbound international call are
    at cheap VOIP rates. Sadly it's usual that the mobile bit of the call costs
    more than the international bit :( But it's better than mobile rates.

    My Asterisk code is too rough and ready to release as yet, but perhaps you
    can find/code a similar system? It requires a machine on the internet
    somewhere - I use my wireless router (runs Linux and asterisk).

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Aug 27, 2008
  7. Why not dial into your asterisk box from mobile and have it answer,
    prompt for a PIN, then call DISA() ? (To get a dial-tone which you can
    then dial-out from)

    Then you'll dial-through to the target number, rather than pay for a
    sipgate call back to your mobile? (The call from the mobile to the 01x
    number being free/inclusive minutes?)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 27, 2008
  8. Murmansk69

    Brian A Guest

    Another alternative, is to use a Betamax company as a callthrough via
    a geo number. JustVoip does it. If you call during your free minutes
    period the callout, for qualifying destinations, is free.
    Of course, you still have to make that mobile call and, on some
    tariffs, that isn't so cheap.

    Brian A, Aug 27, 2008
  9. I'm on PAYG, so 15p/min for that bit as opposed to 6p/min for VOIP. And
    the system is really designed for calling from abroad where it costs $7/min
    to call the UK and $0.07/min for the UK to call by VOIP.
    Another alternative, if you have the data on your phone, is to use the
    feature of Betamax offerings where you can connect two numbers. It
    costs an extra 5p though, and needs a Java app (gsm.voipbuster.com,
    supposedly works on other Betamax brands too).

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Aug 27, 2008
  10. Murmansk69

    Brian A Guest

    ASDA (Vodafone Network) PAYG 8p/min, Ikea's FamilyMobile (on T-Mobile
    Network) 9p/min (min charge is for a full minute then charged per
    second).
    Yet another, if wanting to use using callback with providers of your
    choice: You can use Voxalot but it needs to be triggered by a web link
    (simple page designed for WAP). Saves on the electricity bill to use
    Voxalot but have to pay an annual fee to use the non-free voxalot
    services. Having said all that it probably isn't as much fun as having
    your own PBX.

    Brian A, Aug 27, 2008
  11. Ah yes. Indeed!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 27, 2008
  12. I'm well aware of this upcoming price war - just waiting to see what will
    happen before I jump :)
    Yet another yet another: liberailvoip.it has a free callback function where
    you can use VOIP providers of your choice and activate it by an incoming
    call. You have to navigate their website in Italian (not too hard - there
    are guides in English on the web). But the annoying thing is it only works
    if you've logged into their website in the past 7 days. I used this before
    I rolled my own system.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Aug 27, 2008
  13. You can probably do better my using a special international SIM, such as:
    http://www.nomi-mobile.com/nomi_rates.php

    It's possible mobile operators like Three deliberately inject jitter and delay
    to stymie using their 3G data offerings for VOIP.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Aug 27, 2008
  14. Murmansk69

    Brian A Guest

    Registering with liberailvoip does pose a problem.
    It needs a 'Codice Fiscale' and it doesn't seem to accept any old
    rubbish - so I assume you have an official one.
    Finding a CAP was easy but needing a 'Codice Fiscale' seems to
    prohibit me from registering.

    Brian A, Aug 28, 2008
  15. Easy. See the bottom of:
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/italy.html

    Here's a full guide on how to set up callback with Libera Il Voip:
    http://scopezoom.com/guide8.htm

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Aug 28, 2008
  16. Murmansk69

    Brian A Guest

    Brian A, Aug 28, 2008
  17. Murmansk69

    Brian A Guest

    Hopefully, Theo, you'll see this.
    Did you try anything out on Libera il voip in regard to Skype?
    I tried both forwarding to, and speed dial and neither seems to work
    at all - just silence. I did enable transfers in 'REGOLE INTERNI'
    also.

    Brian A, Aug 30, 2008
  18. I haven't tried it with Skype. Were you trying to use a Skype-in number, or
    do SIP directly to Skype (do they have a SIP-in gateway)?

    AFAIK services like LiV just do the control channel. In other words they
    just link the two VOIP services, and don't see any voice traffic themselves.
    So I'd test whether your VOIP service can call Skype-in from a softphone,
    and also whether you can call normal numbers via LiV. I'd have thought any
    Skype specifics would be down to the VOIP provider, not to LiV.

    Of course it's possible that something is up with the LiV config (either
    yours or theirs) but I can't see how this would break only Skype.

    I've only tried it with smslisto.com but there it worked fine (once I'd got
    the config right with the help of the guide I linked to).

    Can you get a free trial from another VOIP provider to eliminate that?

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Sep 9, 2008