making video clips smaller for webhosting?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by milo, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. milo

    milo Guest

    i recently got a mini dv video camera and want to put up a few
    video's on my own website, but I realize not every one has
    adsl high speed internet.
    I use Ulead video studio 7
    It does say to share as avi, wmv streaming and I think real streaming
    format, should I use one of those?

    or is there something else I can use?

    also on my laptop I hook my camera via a card thing into the laptop
    but on my pc I only have USB, the camera has DV and USB outs is USB
    ok to use?

    my pc is
    2.4 service pack 2
    512 mem
    2 x 120gig hd

    laptop is
    2.8
    Acer celerion
    192 meg ram
    40gigi hd

    milo

    milo, Jun 1, 2005

  2. milo

    Robert Baer Guest

    Take a given video and convert to AVI as well as WMV.
    If there are different quality levels available for conversion, try
    them all.
    Use memetic file names so you will know which AVI has which quality
    level; ditto for WMV.
    You might find that WMV will be a smaller file for a given visual
    quality. I think there will be more quality options for WMV.
    The tradeoff is size (smaller for faster loading) VS quality (better
    quality is larger and so slower).
    Since the source is the same in all cases, the file sizes will give
    you a relative indicationof how fast they will load.

    In any event, "streaming" input for playback is a bit of a disaster.
    The player sits for a while, with the modem furiously blinking away,
    and at some point the video runs for a "short" while, sits with blinkin'
    modem, more video runs, etc. Insane.
    The only good thing i can say about that is, at least the "user" has
    an indication that something is working...

    Robert Baer, Jun 1, 2005