Making The Printer Output, And PC Monitor Image "The Same": How ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert11, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Have a Canon i960 printer, and have been using only Canon paper.

    Seem to have a problem that others have also posted they have.
    But, not too sure what to do about it; am pretty new at this stuff.

    The picture from the printer is excellent, but not "truly" what I see on
    my PC Sony Trinitron 17" monitor.

    Is there some relatively inexpensive software that you folks
    would recommend that would enable me to (easily) calibrate
    and/or correct this situation ?

    How does it work to accomplish this ?

    Would have to be fairly cheap, as I'm just a home user, and don't
    really print out that many photos. But, the difference from the printer
    and the monitor bothers me. If practical, would sure like to have them
    be perceived as pretty much the same.

    Much thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Ho Bob - first port of call should be your printer supplier. If it is
    common they may have a known workaround,

    After exhausting that you may want to consider contacting website support

    Truth is, it may just be a technical limitation of the printer although new
    drivers may help.

    I am assuming you have the most up to date and current drivers for your
    computer system and printer. Drivers, in this case, mean the software
    interface to get the computer and printer 'talking'

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Robert11

    DigiFilm Guest

    Hello Robert,
    First off, it is not that complicated as it might seem. You need to make
    some baseline adjustments to start with.
    Set you monitor to 6500K
    You will also need to adjust your Gamma correction.
    What image editing software are you using
    You have to match the monitor profile witht he print space, the printer.
    Most of the time the software will do a good job correcting the image on
    it's own, but the monitor/software/printer need to "see: the images the
    same.
    Try monaco software http://www.monacosys.com/monacoezcolor.html free demo.
    There are other monitor calibrators out there.

    DigiFilm, Jul 18, 2004
  4. There are two ways to tackle this problem, the wrong way and the
    somewhat expensive way. That sounds grim for your expressed level of
    interest.

    The way that works is to get a hardware monitor calibrator (with
    software). This is a device that attaches temporarily to the face of
    your monitor and plugs in (usually via USB these days) and talks to
    the software. Then the software runs the monitor through a series of
    displays, the sensor reports back what actually appeared on the
    screen, and the software builds a monitor profile so it shows colors
    rather more accurately than it did before.

    That, in conjunction with a proper printer profile (mostly what comes
    with the printer works okay *if you're using OEM ink and paper*), will
    bring your prints very close to your screen.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 18, 2004
  5. Robert11

    Bud Guest

    A cheap way, I did it thusly: I was satisfied with a print then held it up
    to the monitor with the same pictue om the screen I printed and adjusted
    the monitor to match the print. Works for me!

    Bud, Jul 18, 2004
  6. Robert11

    Tim Smith Guest

    Why are you assuming that the printer is the problem, rather than the
    monitor?

    Tim Smith, Jul 19, 2004
  7. It is a good point Tim

    The truth is it never occured to me

    Trying to figure these things remotely ain't easy

    Contacting the outlet always seems the best strategy

    Don't you agree?

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 19, 2004