    The dumbed down idiots guide to helping me with this problem would be
    greatly appreciated, Thanks.

    Jen.

    Jen621, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Use less colour ie 16 bit instead of 32 bit
    Change size 320x240 (or something)
    Audio low bit rate ie 8 bit or even no sound
    Use high compression rate

    However depends also on the quailty you want to keep... TV quality then the
    above will just degrade it to much and it might just look like crud...

    Simply viewing on your PC using and media player then it is not as bad...

    depends what the video is of and going to be used for... sample downloads,
    personal viewing, broadcast, or sell etc... and how much degrading of the
    video and sound you can put up with.

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Jen621

    Harrison Guest

    Harrison, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Jen621

    Richard Guest

    Convert to "RM" - real media - to save space.
    "Helix producer" is an excellent way to convert while maintaining quality.
    As an RM that 400mb file will be something like 130mb or less.
    http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/

    Windows movie maker can also chop down the size.
    The drawback being that due to the patent, MS won't allow anyone to market a
    converter to other formats.

    Richard, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Jen621

    Jen621 Guest

    Thanks for the help all, they work great.

    Jen621, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Jen621

    M.L. Guest

    Not true. There are several third party apps that can convert
    Microsoft's WMV format. TMPGenc is one of them and it's free (however,
    you must change the .wmv extension to the .asf extension). MS
    MovieMaker2 can also convert to an AVI format. I suspect that WMV
    makes better quality output than RM.

    M.L., Oct 30, 2003
  7. Jen621

    MKoivuFan

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have taped something off the tv which is 11.4 gigs... When i go to take out the commercials it only brings it down to about 9.4 gigs... I was just wondering if there was a program out there to make the original file smaller say to 10 gigs or even 9 so that when i take out the commercials i can fit it onto a double layer dvd? Thanks for your help greatly appreciated.

    MKoivuFan, Mar 14, 2008