    make it act as a switch. Should I just use it like a switch and plug
    computers into it, or does it need to be configured?

    Thanks

    catbread.org, Jul 31, 2007

  2. catbread.org

    Mike Easter Guest

    First, I agree with the concept to 'plug everything in' and to use it
    'as is appropriate'.

    And/But.... If you are going to use the terms 'router' and/vs 'switch'
    as if they were distinctly defined entities, then you should first read
    a set of definitions of router and switch and then 'declare' what you
    mean.

    The wiki is useful in this regard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router
    A more precise definition of a router is a computer networking device
    that interconnects separate logical subnets. Routers are now available
    in many types, [...] The term switch or layer 3 switch or network
    switch often is used interchangably with router, but switch is really a
    marketing term without a rigorous technical definition (though a switch
    is commonly understood as a network hub with switched ports, which might
    or might not also perform additional routing functions).

    Mike Easter, Jul 31, 2007

  3. catbread.org

    saddles Guest

    If you just want to network a few computers, just plug them in. The router
    will do the job "better" than a switch and its default configuration would
    be just fine.

    But if you know there is a reason why you want to to make it "act like a
    switch", then read on.

    Regardless of the overlapping functions of these devices mentioned by
    another, there is usually a difference that is important to networking. A
    router would have to be configured so that it acts "merely" as a "passive"
    switch if there is another router on the network already dispensing IP
    addresses and other configuration data to the computers. You don't want
    conflicting assignments of IP addresses, so you would want to access the
    router's online configuration interface (try http://192.168.1.1 but maybe
    another) enter username and password (try "admin" but maybe another) and
    find the place where you can disable DHCP. (There a way to operate the thing
    without doing that but its' not for simple networks)

    If you're unsure as you go along, research it more online and consult your
    router manual (on how to access the configuration interface)

    saddles, Jul 31, 2007
  4. catbread.org

    saddles Guest

    Sorry: the reply you see from me should have been to catbread.org

    saddles, Jul 31, 2007
  5. catbread.org

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    You want the router to be a *switch*, then you disable the DHCP server on
    the router and it becomes just a switch.

    Do you plan on connecting it to another router? What will be the DHCP server
    for your LAN?

    Mr. Arnold, Jul 31, 2007
  6. catbread.org

    why? Guest

    How, a router and a switch are different things? A SOHO router may well
    have a switch built in but it's still 2 devices. The router is handy for
    having more than 1 PC needing an Internet connection.

    If the ISP has issues multiple static IPs then a switch will do.

    Yes I did read below :)
    Me

    why?, Jul 31, 2007
  7. catbread.org

    why? Guest

    Why is important.

    If you don't need to use it for an internet connection. A factory reset
    (for defaults) so it acts as a DHCP server, then just plug in the PCs
    will work.

    This will give you a standalone LAN.
    Me

    why?, Jul 31, 2007