    Rural 23 Guest

    Does anyone know if the major fire at the B&H Warehouse in New York City is
    affecting delivery of products from that company?

    Rural 23, Feb 24, 2005

  2. No delays are forecast.
    Lenses may be a bit smoky though:)

    Lew Zeelastik, Feb 24, 2005

  3. I sure hope not I'm getting ready to buy a new lens!!! :)

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Feb 25, 2005
  4. Rural 23

    bmoag Guest

    Maybe they'll have a fire sale with some red hot specials . . .

    bmoag, Feb 25, 2005
  5. Oof. I hate to laugh at bad puns, but that was pretty good.

    Well, I guess they'll specialize in underwater photography equipment.
    AS in equipment that has been underwater!

    Brian C. Baird, Feb 25, 2005
  6. I'm also concerned whether anyone was injured or not...call me a
    square, but I hope all of the employees are OK.

    Woodchuck Bill, Feb 25, 2005
  7. Rural 23

    VincentJames Guest

    Geez, and I just got my new catalogue the other day. Think I'll wait and
    check the website next week.

    VincentJames, Feb 25, 2005
  8. Rural 23

    C J Campbell Guest

    They say there was only one minor injury.

    C J Campbell, Feb 25, 2005
  9. Rural 23

    Lisa Horton Guest

    The news said only one minor injury, thank goodness. Four alarms and
    168 firefighters, sounds pretty major. I'm sure they've got insurance,
    but I'm also sure that it will take a little time to fix the building
    and rebuild stock levels.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Feb 25, 2005
  10. Thank you for the update. It is good to know that there were no
    (immediate) serious injuries...of course, smoke damage could have a
    delayed effect, but I'll hope for the best.

    Woodchuck Bill, Feb 25, 2005
  11. Rural 23

    clutch Guest

    Kinda early in the event to forecast that one. I just placed an order
    with them for something I don't have to have right now. I'm thinking
    that a order backlog that they can show to banks might help them
    secure financing for anything not covered by their insurance
    deductibles.

    I hope they survive this.

    Wes

    clutch, Feb 25, 2005
  12. Rural 23

    Mark² Guest

    They are the biggest photography store in the world, and will survive juuuuust fine.
    This will cause significant hassle, but they'll bounce back with gusto.
    Major dollars are available to this store.

    Mark², Feb 25, 2005
  13. Rural 23

    Ken Oaf Guest

    Insurance job?

    Ken Oaf, Feb 25, 2005
  14. Rural 23

    Cynicor Guest

    Wouldn't worry too much about that. J&R lost all their stock due to soot and
    debris on 9/11.

    Cynicor, Feb 25, 2005
  15. Rural 23

    Big Bill Guest

    I'm also glad to hear about only 1 minor injury. There are two wayus I
    don't want to die: burning & drowning. Either one gives me the
    shivers!
    It'll take some time to rebuild stock, but the building can be
    replaced with any of several that can be rented/leased short term.

    Big Bill, Feb 25, 2005
  16. Rural 23

    Big Bill Guest

    Certainy not by B&H. No reason.
    I don't know if the building was leased (probably was), but B&H would
    be paying enough to make an insurance fire unlikely.

    Big Bill, Feb 25, 2005
  17. It's certainly not an insurance job - it wasn't the B&H warehouse that
    caught fire, it was an adjacent building. B&H sufferred some water damage
    as a result.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 25, 2005
  18. Rural 23

    Bubbabob Guest

    I would imagine so. I saw pictures of the fire and the sign on the building
    read "B&H Shipping & Receiving". I would think that would probably put a
    severe kink in their business for a few weeks.

    Bubbabob, Feb 26, 2005
  19. Rural 23

    Bubbabob Guest

    Go the the WABC website and look at the pictures. The burning building's
    signs say both 'B&H Shipping & Receiving' and 'L&S Electronics' (which I
    believe B&H owns). There's more than water damage, it's burnt to the
    ground. It burned like only a steel Butler building with a cuppla
    thousand tons of plastic, aluminum and cardboard in it can.

    Bubbabob, Feb 26, 2005
  20. Rural 23

    zeitgeist Guest

    don't laugh...

    Gasser's in San Fran had a fire, big sale followed after, I got a couple
    good deals, smoke did cover the items and that 110mm mamiya lens did have a
    slight color shift.

    but I also got totally ripped off when I bought two Norman power packs for a
    $100 each that had been soaked or underwater. Norman said that they were
    total losses, they would not even try to work on them, the water had soaked
    through into the capacitors even.

    zeitgeist, Feb 26, 2005