    If you have a spare video card I would use it also, for testing.

    It would appear you either have a bad PSU or a major motherboard
    problem.

    Leythos, Mar 15, 2009

  2. Scribner

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Let's have some facts for that backed with some technical specs and
    documentation.

    Come on, come clean, you are just making this up as you go along aren't you?

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 15, 2009

  3. Scribner

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Ignore westom's verbal diarrhoea. Your -12 +3.3 and -5 voltages look all
    wrong. Were these measured with a multimeter? Your computer should not
    even be working with those levels. Are you absolutely 100% certain you
    measured at the right points?

    Is ignore westoms ridiculous advice about the motherboard monitor "That
    measurement device is not sufficiently accurate until calibrated with a
    multimeter." This is utter bollocks and I've never seen one yet that you
    could calibrate. Sure they are not accurate but they are good enough for
    the purpose.

    Lets look at some facts. We can be fairly certain that your brand new
    PSU is working within reasonable limits because your computer is
    working, so your readings above must be mistaken.

    Please check & verify your readings.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 15, 2009
  4. Scribner

    Leythos Guest

    A PC could allow entry into the POST without everything working, and I
    suspect he got the values from the BIOS monitoring section.

    Having worked with more than 10K motherboards in my years, I've also
    never seen one that allows a user or tech to adjust the readings, they
    are done by the vendor and are not adjustable.

    Somewhere in this thread there is a discussion about some external
    devices being connected - it could also be them.

    Basic diagnostic processes indicate removing all devices/attachments to
    see what the POST shows and start adding one at a time to determine the
    problem device - I've not seen where the OP has done that yet.

    Leythos, Mar 15, 2009
  5. Scribner

    Buffalo Guest

    What are you using to get those voltages? Something is wrong. If you are
    using MotherBoardMonitor, you most likely are using the wrong inputs under
    the Voltage Configuration box in the Voltage section.
    Everest Home Edition seems to do a pretty good job of determining the
    correct voltages. Just expand the Computer header and select Sensor. I
    believe it is still a free program.
    Of course, the multimeter will usually be the most accurate.
    Just out of curiousity, what is the make and model of your MB?
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Mar 15, 2009
  6. Scribner

    chuckcar Guest

    As in the usb hub. Which I *did* mention in the first thread.
    So the power from the computer's USB ports don't come from the computers
    power supply???
    Now you're just trolling.

    chuckcar, Mar 15, 2009
  7. Scribner

    Pennywise Guest

    Your right MOV's are used, I couldn't think of it's name and seriously
    google would only give me Zener Diode's with my key search words.
    I wasn't aware of that one, I thought there was resistance in one
    direction if working correctly.

    I had never tried to test a MOV myself, as unsoldering mine to test
    them wasn't practicable (I was just after the batteries).

    Pennywise, Mar 16, 2009
  8. Scribner

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Which you then changed to a power strip.
    Via an on-board regulator.

    Nope, just wishfull thinking

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 16, 2009
  9. Scribner

    chuckcar Guest

    No, never did. Give me an message id if you're going to make claims like
    that or it's just bull.

    chuckcar, Mar 16, 2009
  10. Scribner

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    I apologise you just went straight for the "plug the USB device into the
    wall socket" approach.

    I'll repeat your exact words again for you:-

    "Also do *not* connect your VCR to DVD device to your computer's power
    supply, that's what blew it. Use a separate power supply plugged into
    the wall."

    You were of course assuming that the device had either a mains plug or a
    dc input socket and appropriate PSU.

    I particularly liked your "We've seen this same exact thing mentioned by
    another poster in the last month." which demonstrates your short
    attention span, lack of attention and inability to read back over messages.

    Headers were:-
    From: chuckcar <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Major Computer Problem
    Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:09:03 +0000 (UTC)
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 16, 2009
  11. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    I used a program called Speed Fan for these numbers.

    Scribner, Mar 16, 2009
  12. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    I'm not worried about juicing myself but I am fearful for shorting
    something out in my computer. I cannot afford to buy any more parts.

    Scribner, Mar 16, 2009
  13. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    It is a PC Chips P23G v3. I usually use Asus or Abit boards. But I
    didn't want to have to but all new parts. i wanted to keep some of my
    legacy parts in order to save money.

    Scribner, Mar 16, 2009
  14. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    Unfortunately, I do not have a spare VGA card.

    Scribner, Mar 16, 2009
  15. Scribner

    Leythos Guest

    So, disconnect everything except the video card and check the voltages
    using the BIOS Monitoring and not some program.

    Leythos, Mar 16, 2009
  16. Scribner

    westom Guest

    Greatest risk is when installing or removing something. Already
    noted is that the power supply outputs can all be shorted together and
    never cause damage. We routinely shorted digital semiconductor outputs
    to diagnosis problems because that shorting also cannot cause damage.

    If your probing created a risk, then previous posts warned of that
    risk. Meanwhile, meter probes are high resistance. Now matter what
    you touch, they will conduct almost zero current - also cannot damage
    anything. You tell me. How can probing damage anything? Every
    precaution has already been posted. Even listed are things you can
    short out (including the power supply) and not create any damage.

    What should worry you? Forgetting to disconnect a power cord before
    added or removing something may be destructive. An easy mistake.
    Installing something without static electric discharge is another
    reason for hardware damage. When is hardware at greatest risk? When
    you change something. Shotgunning. Anything to minimize change such
    as probing with a meter means a safer computer.
    ..
    Your fears are misplaced; not based in technical fact. Obtain
    numbers so that the next reply is useful and so that computer hardware
    is at less risk. At all costs, minimize what is riskier - part
    swapping. Anything you might do with the multimeter to cause harm has
    already been listed in detail.

    Meanwhile, I am still waiting for further information to explain
    numerous inconsistancies in your posts. For example, "3.3 at 1.84
    volts mean no operation. +12 volts at 10.5 volts is a complete
    failure." But your observations imply otherwise - assuming those
    readings came from where I assumed and you did not define. Provide
    those numbers. Fear not actions deviod of risk. Then learn
    significantly from what those numbers report.

    westom, Mar 16, 2009
  17. Scribner

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Go on. Short the +12v and -5v and let us know what happens

    Respect of electricity is healthy.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 17, 2009
  18. Scribner

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    I doubt it is working correctly for your board. As Leythos has already
    said use the BIOS if it has that facility. If all else fails, take your
    PC to an expert.

    If you really need this computer and rely on it for work then you need
    to take a professional attitude and not a hobbyist approach.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 17, 2009
  19. Scribner

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    There's your problem. Absolute shite.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 17, 2009
  20. Scribner

    westom Guest

    From the ATX spec:
    If posting with knowledge, he would have known that shorting +12v
    and -5v causes no damage and harms no one. He knows but failed to
    first learn. Anyone here to learn is cautioned. Ignore so many who
    post without learning respect for or knowledge of electricity.

    Meanwhile, it is not possible to short -5V to +12V when probing
    voltages inside a nylon connector. Furthermore, a typical power
    supply does not even have a -5 volts. Just another fact that one
    might have first learned before posting.

    westom, Mar 17, 2009