    USB lead. I also have a Blackberry which charges via a USB lead. Would it
    be possible to use my Blackberry charger for the iPod - there are only 4
    connections in a USB plug - two are power - what variations could there be?

    Geoff Pearson, Jul 2, 2006

  2. Geoff Pearson

    Pennywise Guest

    |>I have an iPod nano for which I need a mains charger. The connection is via
    |>USB lead. I also have a Blackberry which charges via a USB lead. Would it
    |>be possible to use my Blackberry charger for the iPod - there are only 4
    |>connections in a USB plug - two are power - what variations could there be?

    None, USB supplies 5 volts, the device would adjust the power
    requirement if need'd.

    Pennywise, Jul 2, 2006

  3. Geoff Pearson

    Margolotta Guest

    No, it wouldn't. AFAIK, the connector on an iPod is completely proprietary
    (at least, I've never seen another device which uses a similarly-shaped
    connector).If the Blackberry's mains charger isn't identical to the iPod's
    connection, then it won't fit and there are no adaptors, AFAIK.

    However, Gear4 <www.gear4.com> has an adapter kit (£20 ~$36). If you Google
    for World Tour V2, you might be able to find a US store selling it (Gear4 is
    a UK-based company, I believe) or there might be an equivalent (I believe
    Belkin do something similar). Comes with adapters for Europe, the US, UK and
    Australasia. So you're buggered if you're ever going to Japan.

    Quite honestly, I reckon Apple should bundle this sort of thing in with the
    damned thing in the first place, certainly with the video models. I mean, if
    you're paying over £300 for an MP3 player you should expect to be able to
    charge it wherever you are without shelling out anything extra.

    Margolotta, Jul 2, 2006
  4. I don't know what you mean - the end of the iPod cable is a standard USB
    plug which fits both my computer and the Blackberry charger. My question is
    about voltage and regulation I guess - not physical connection.

    Geoff Pearson, Jul 3, 2006
  5. Geoff Pearson

    Margolotta Guest

    Yes, the end you plug into the computer is, but that's not what I'm talking
    about - I'm talking about the bit you plug into the 'Pod. That's proprietary
    and that's what I'm talking about. Are you saying that the blackberry charger
    has a standard USB interface (i.e. you connect the Blackberry up to it via a
    USB cable to charge it?). In which case, you *MIGHT* be okay. *HOWEVER* if
    something were to happen and the nano died, then Apple wouldn't honour the
    warranty. The Gear4 charger has been approved by Apple and, therefore, is
    completely safe.

    But, having said that, it (the Gear4 charger) works off mains power (which is
    110V in the States, 240V in the UK, 220V in Europe) so, if the Blackberry
    does the same, then you should have no problems.

    Margolotta, Jul 3, 2006
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Jul 3, 2006