Mail Notification sound

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Doug Smith, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Doug Smith

    Doug Smith Guest

    I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).

    When I configure Moz Mail and Newsgroups (Preferences->Mail &
    Newsgroups->Notifications) to play a sound when new messages arrive and
    select a .wav file I do not get the expected result.

    Instead, the workstation's default beep sounds. The .wav file is not
    played. I can play .wav and .mp3 files fine and, in fact, I can play
    the target of my 'custom wav file' entry fine. But Moz doesn't seem to
    want to play it.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    --
    Doug
     
    Doug Smith, Jul 20, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Doug Smith

    Watchman Guest

    Doug Smith wrote:
    >
    > I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).
    >
    > When I configure Moz Mail and Newsgroups (Preferences->Mail &
    > Newsgroups->Notifications) to play a sound when new messages arrive and
    > select a .wav file I do not get the expected result.
    >
    > Instead, the workstation's default beep sounds. The .wav file is not
    > played. I can play .wav and .mp3 files fine and, in fact, I can play
    > the target of my 'custom wav file' entry fine. But Moz doesn't seem to
    > want to play it.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Doug


    You could try changing the sound in the Start>Control Panel>Sounds in
    Windows. Scroll down to the New Mail Notification and give it the sound
    you want. Mozilla should pick it up.
    HTH.

    Watchman :)
    --
    'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'
     
    Watchman, Jul 21, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Doug Smith

    Moz Champion Guest

    Watchman wrote:

    > Doug Smith wrote:
    >
    >>I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).
    >>
    >>When I configure Moz Mail and Newsgroups (Preferences->Mail &
    >>Newsgroups->Notifications) to play a sound when new messages arrive and
    >>select a .wav file I do not get the expected result.
    >>
    >>Instead, the workstation's default beep sounds. The .wav file is not
    >>played. I can play .wav and .mp3 files fine and, in fact, I can play
    >>the target of my 'custom wav file' entry fine. But Moz doesn't seem to
    >>want to play it.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>--
    >>Doug

    >
    >
    > You could try changing the sound in the Start>Control Panel>Sounds in
    > Windows. Scroll down to the New Mail Notification and give it the sound
    > you want. Mozilla should pick it up.
    > HTH.
    >
    > Watchman :)


    I would suggest the OP ugrade to Mozilla 1.7

    The 1.4 version had problems with mail notification sounds, on some
    platforms just attempting to change the sound killed it altogether.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/
     
    Moz Champion, Jul 21, 2004
    #3
  4. Doug Smith

    Doug Smith Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    > I would suggest the OP ugrade to Mozilla 1.7
    >
    > The 1.4 version had problems with mail notification sounds, on some
    > platforms just attempting to change the sound killed it altogether.


    Moz, thank you -- good info.
    --
    Doug
     
    Doug Smith, Jul 21, 2004
    #4
  5. Doug Smith

    Doug Smith Guest

    Watchman wrote:
    > Doug Smith wrote:
    >
    >>I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).
    >> ... snippage...

    >
    > You could try changing the sound in the Start>Control Panel>Sounds in
    > Windows. Scroll down to the New Mail Notification and give it the sound
    > you want. Mozilla should pick it up.


    Well, yeah, but....

    I'm running Mozilla on the Solaris operating system (UNIX) on a 64-bit
    Sun Workstation with an UltraSPARC IIe CPU.

    I don't have a 'Start' menu. ;-)
    --
    Doug
     
    Doug Smith, Jul 21, 2004
    #5
  6. Doug Smith

    Watchman Guest

    Doug Smith wrote:
    >
    > Watchman wrote:
    > > Doug Smith wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).
    > >> ... snippage...

    > >
    > > You could try changing the sound in the Start>Control Panel>Sounds in
    > > Windows. Scroll down to the New Mail Notification and give it the sound
    > > you want. Mozilla should pick it up.

    >
    > Well, yeah, but....
    >
    > I'm running Mozilla on the Solaris operating system (UNIX) on a 64-bit
    > Sun Workstation with an UltraSPARC IIe CPU.
    >
    > I don't have a 'Start' menu. ;-)
    > --
    > Doug


    Invent one. We won't tell. ;p

    Watchman :)
    --
    'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'
     
    Watchman, Jul 22, 2004
    #6
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. David Harrison

    An idea for mail notification

    David Harrison, Nov 21, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    823
    David Harrison
    Nov 21, 2003
  2. look^
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    703
    Moz Champion
    Aug 26, 2004
  3. NiGi aka BLiCK

    Annoying Mail Notification

    NiGi aka BLiCK, Sep 12, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    868
    trout
    Sep 12, 2003
  4. Melv

    notification sound email receipt

    Melv, May 18, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,372
    reid decker
    May 20, 2004
  5. Hank Hill
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,212
  6. Chris LeFebvre

    New Mail Notification Sound Prob?

    Chris LeFebvre, Jan 31, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    784
    Chris LeFebvre
    Feb 6, 2006
  7. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    668
  8. PWB
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    537
    old man
    Oct 13, 2007
Loading...