Mail Kicked Back to Me That I Never Sent

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, May 13, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    From time to time I get "Message Undeliverable" notices that refer to
    email ostensibly from me but which I never sent. Set forth below is the
    latest notice I received, this evening, along with what is puportedly
    "my" original message. Is this a virus that my computer has that I am
    unaware of that is sending messages addressed from me., The recipients
    are NOT in my addressbook and I've never heard of them.

    Thanks.

    John
    mailto:

    John, May 13, 2004

  2. John

    tigercat Guest

    yeah, some viruses will make it seem like you're the one sending the
    message. it doesn't mean that you have the virus, it may be that someone
    who has you in their address book, got a virus that triggered the message
    you received.

    always better to be safe than sorry. might as well update your antivirus
    def's and scan your computer, as well as use an online scan engine.

    good luck.

    tigercat, May 13, 2004

  3. John

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, May 13, 2004
  4. John

    John Guest

    John, May 13, 2004
  5. John

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome, but your "munge" should come
    AFTER the "@" sign, otherwise spam/worm mail
    will continue to go to your mail server; you should
    consider adding 'invalid' instead of 'net' to the
    end of your address. If you would like people to
    be able to reach you (not usually a good idea on
    usenet), you can add a cryptic signature that
    the automated 'bots' would not be able to read.
    Something like "Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to email".
    If you are wondering why I don't have mine munged,
    it is because some idiot has been impersonating
    me, so I set up a valid account to use, so that
    he could easily be killfiled -- he would risk losing his
    account if he used my valid email address.

    °Mike°, May 13, 2004
  6. John

    tigercat Guest

    mike,

    just wondering, but wouldn't it be fairly easy, if not common practise, for
    spammers to use programs that automatically remove anything immediately
    after the @ sign and before a recognized isp name, like yahoo for example.
    i mean, there shouldn't be anything in between the @ sign and the isp name,
    so i would think spammers can easily write a program to get around this type
    of munging. also, wouldn't it be just as easy to write a program to detect
    non standard domains, so if an address doesn't end in "com" or "net", etc, a
    program can automatically spam the address and fill in several popular
    possibilities. i know we can't get around 100% of these scenarios, but i
    was just wondering how effective munging is at all, given the sophistication
    of spammers now?

    --

    please remove "googoogaga" and change "invalid" to "com" to send message

    tigercat, May 13, 2004
  7. John

    °Mike° Guest

    If "ifs and buts"....

    Just try posting "munged" and then "unmunged", preferably
    from different accounts; you will see the difference.

    °Mike°, May 13, 2004