    transfer the mail that I still have in my local folders?

    Thanks,
    Jo

    Jo M, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Check under Local Folders.

    Thunderbird has the capability, under your Account settings, to pick
    locations to store files. See where yours are set to store.
    Why would you want to return to the 20th century?
    Probably not... OE wouldn't know how to read them.

    Do you know you're several releases behind? 1.0.2 ... why not update to
    1.5.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Jo M

    Jo M Guest

    I went to local folders>account settings>copies & folders. The box
    for "Place a copy in: 'Sent' folder on local folder" is checked. But
    the copies aren't going there. If I click "Sent" once, the status bar
    says "No matches found." If I click it twice it acts as "Get Mail" as
    I mentioned previously. In the copy/folder window, drafts and
    templates are selected. I have a draft folder but no template folder.
    What is a template?

    As to updating, I did find a place to choose "update" and it said
    there were no updates. Could you please explain what you mean by
    'releases.'

    Why would I go back to OE? I didn't have things like this happen.
    Also there is an "Unsent Messages" in local folders. Nothing ever
    goes there. When I'm offline and send an e-mail I have to hit 'send'
    and then close and have it go to the draft folder. With OE,unsent
    mail automatically went when I got on the Internet. And when I hit
    'send' the mail went immediately. With MT, there is a green bar that
    shows the mail is going, and if I'm sending pictures or long forwards,
    the sending seems to take forever for each post. With OE, short or
    long, they went right away.

    Thanks,
    Jo

    Jo M, Feb 6, 2006
  4. Jo M

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Why did you go to local folders>account settings>copies and folders?
    For after you're dead.
    'But the copies are not going there' is an excuse. Excuses are
    unacceptable.
    Itth myth speetthch slurrererrred????
    If a man speaks in the forest, and his wife isn't there, is he still
    wrong?
    And wipe that smile off your face.
    Really? You have a draft folder but no template folder?
    What do we care, right?
    Have to make a difficult choice, huh?
    I meant exactly what was written. What you say it means is as irrelevant
    as you are.
    Good, I didn't have things like that happen either.
    There's no one else for that.
    Ever hear of a vacation?
    You mean you would like to hit 'send' and then close and have it go to
    the draft folder?
    Was there life before the net?
    You sure?
    WARNING: Consumption of alcohol is a major factor in dancing like an
    idiot.
    They want to be able to control their destiny.
    Thank you for taking that philosophically.
    Shit head.
    So, you have no problem looking like a complete tit on usenet then?
    Authentic hatchet. Authentic hatchet. Do you know what 'Authentic
    hatchet.' means? Real axe. Get it? ('RELAX.')
    It could be worse; you could be psychotic. It could be better; you could
    be suicidal.
    Are you worried about your privacy?

    Duane Arnold, Feb 6, 2006
  5. If you only have one email ID, that may be ok. I have about nine IDs set
    up, and they each save their received and sent mail in folders under
    each ID.
    No matches? You may have some sort of filter set to only show you mail
    containing some particular text, or a particular sender's email address.

    In the View: dropdown box, set it to "All"
    You seem to be hiding what is stored.
    You shouldn't be double-clicking a folder name.
    Sounds about right.
    Only worth consideration if you stoop so low as to send HTML emails. [1]

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=template&db=*

    2. Computer Science.
    1. A document or file having a preset format, used as a starting
    point for a particular application so that the format does not have to
    be recreated each time it is used.
    Version 1.0.1
    Version 1.0.2
    Version 1.5

    There are some security updates in the newer versions. Go to the Mozilla
    web site, download the setup file for 1.5, save it in your favorite
    downloads place, then execute it. It will update your current
    installation, without futzing with your profile and current mail.
    You need a bit more experience with the new program.
    I'd personally rather have it wait until *I* was ready to send. When I
    go on the 'net, I may want to do something else first.
    Forever? Hummph. Don't know why that would occur. Mine send quickly once
    I activate the Send.

    "long forwards?" Hopefully, if you are one of those who forwards jokes
    and stuff to "everyone you know", you are putting all the addresses in
    the BCC: field, to protect the privacy of these recipients.

    Really. Thunderbird is a better email client than the ancient OE.

    [1] HTML is for web pages; Plain Text is for email.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 6, 2006
  6. Jo M

    Jo M Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    I'm snipping parts of your/my post to the pertinent parts.
    I have three filters in place, one to a group to which I belong, so
    that its mail goes to a file under local files, and 2 names that get
    deleted. No other filters.
    I did this. What is it supposed to do? "Sent" continues to be empty.

    I don't understand re: preset format, etc.
    I'll check on this, but when you say, "save it in your favorite
    downloads place, then execute it" I don't know where to save. I don't
    download stuff, just mail. The updates that I get. automatically
    download so I don't have to save and execute.
    Forever? Hummph. Don't know why that would occur. Mine send quickly once
    Yes, I do the BCC and also delete all the addresses before sending
    forwards. I loathe the "pass-on" forwards and usually delete without
    reading. But I send jokes, but not to everyone I know---I choose who
    I think might appreciate it. There are some, however, that go to
    quite a few people and when that list is long, the green bar tells
    what percent of the message is gone, and I can't do anything while
    that is going on. And a few times there were some wonderful pictures
    which *did* seem to take forever.

    Jo M, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Jo M

    Jo M Guest

    Beauregard!!! My sent mail came in. The "All" that did the trick was
    Edit>Select>All. Thank you!!! But please, I'd still like to know
    about downloading and saving and executing.

    Thanks,
    Jo

    Jo M, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Me too.

    Here, I think you are detailing incoming mail filters. These would not
    be pertinent to seeing mail in the Sent folder.

    I did reference the dropdown that is normally just above the Subject
    line in the mail headers pane. Is this what you found?

    A cookie cutter in the bakery department is a sort of template. You
    press it into the dough and get a shape, then bake a cookie that looks
    just like the cutter.

    You make up a mail template, store it, and then when you want to create
    an outgoing mail that looks the same, you open it from the Template
    folder and "press" a new mail with all those same settings, rather than
    recreating from scratch each time. As said, this is really only useful
    if you use HTML mail.

    A business may want to send periodic mail with the same layout each
    time. A template would be used, and you then only need to fill in the
    content part.

    Make a new folder using Windows Explorer. Name it "Downloads"
    Go to the Thunderbird link, choose to grab the latest version, and when
    the dialog window opens, navigate to this new folder, and click Save.
    Once saved, close the browser, go back to this folder and double-click
    the new .exe file.

    If you don't know how to make new folders, you could download the new
    file right to the Desktop, then delete it after the installation process
    is complete. But you should learn how to make and manage folders.
    (Folders is a Windows term; they are actually directories.)

    Until the newest release of Thunderbird, the updating process requires
    grabbing the whole new .exe file. Once you are on 1.5, there will be
    incremental updates.

    Good for you. So many people neglect to do that step.
    Well, whoohoo!

    Regarding the View: dropdown box above the headers pane, what was it set
    to prior to this? The choices are: All, Unread, Important, Work ... and
    so on. If this was set to Unread, then you would only see messages that
    haven't been opened yet, and Sent messages are "opened" by default,
    because you have already "read" them (as you created them).

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 7, 2006
  9. Jo M

    Jo M Guest

    Under Headers the only choices were All and Normal. It was set to
    Normal and after your first post I changed it to All. What happened
    with that is that when opening a post, the screen filled up with a lot
    of computer lingo. When the sent mail showed up, I set it back to
    Normal---and the posts got back to normal.

    Thanks for the template info---guess I won't have to use that.
    I'll try that tomorrow---I'm up way too late now.
    Thanks to you!
    As I said, View>Headers gave only Normal or All to choose, The
    choices you mention (All, Unread, etc.) are under View>Messages. Maybe
    that is where I changed to All and not in Edit>Select. But in the
    finagling around I left the inbox on the screen, and it finally dawned
    on me that I should have the sent mail screen open while going to the
    dropdown. And that is when it finally worked. So I think your
    assessment about Unread is correct. That is what I probably changed,
    and thought it was Edit/Select that did the trick because that is the
    last thing I did. And nothing got selected because there was nothing
    there. By now I'm so confused with whatall I did. So thank you so
    very much. I appreciate your taking the time to think this out with me.

    Jo

    Jo M, Feb 8, 2006
  10. Um. You are looking on the main menu, at the very top of the window. I
    have been talking about the .. well, in Windows language, it's really
    called a "combobox" and is in the area underneath the big toolbar.

    See: http://k75s.home.att.net/show/tbirddropdown.jpg

    It's a "field" looking selection choice, with a small down-arrow at the
    right end of it. The word "View:" is just to the left of it, and it is
    just above the "Subject" column of mail headers. It should be in the
    same row as the search box, which is over to the right.
    I think Unread was the default setting, but it's been so long I don't
    remember ...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 8, 2006
  11. Jo M

    Jo M Guest

    Aha! Now I know what you're talking about! *I didn't have a search
    bar!* I went to each file to see what was set for each one and
    changed a few. I had done the settings for the Inbox and didn't
    realize that choices could be made for each folder. Until sent mail
    hid its mail, I was ok with it all. I went from folder to folder
    looking for the search bar and with "View." I finally
    found it by going to Toolbars and Search Bar wasn't selected. I
    checked it off and lo-and-behold, there was the search bar, just like
    you showed in your sample. In the Sent folder, the drop down in your
    sample was the same as for View>Messages, so I had gotten to the same
    place with a different path.

    I am so appreciative. Thank you so much.
    Jo

    Jo M, Feb 9, 2006
  12. One picture is worth a thousand words ...
    Whoohoo! You're welcome.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 9, 2006