    help. I know I should have stayed on top of thee updates for thunderbird,
    but 1.0.2 was running so nicely, and I have problems with 1.0.6 on my
    laptop, so I figured I would leave well enough alone...lesson learned.

    Wheaty, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Wheaty

    Jedi Fans Guest

    try thunderbird 1.5 alpha 2 - running smoothly here and has been since it a1

    Jedi Fans, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Wheaty

    Doug G Guest

    The files in your profile's Mail folder that don't have extensions
    contain your messages and you should be able to open them in a text
    editor like Windows Notepad or Wordpad. The files with MSF extensions
    are created by the program when needed and tell the program how to
    display the messages in the files that don't have extensions.

    When transferring mail folders from one profile to another, I find it
    best to just tranfer the files that have no extensions and to build
    folders and subfolders for them later. Thunderbird should be closed
    when transferring the files.

    Old and new versions of Thunderbird can be downloaded from
    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/

    Doug G, Aug 6, 2005
  4. Wheaty

    Tom Guest

    I still have a copy of TBird 1.02, it is a 5.75 MB file. I can send it
    to you via an
    email attachment if you want. Send an email if you like. I will be gone
    'till Sunday nite. Will shoot it to you then.
    Like you I've learned in the past and I keep the old versions around for
    a while before I delete them.

    Tom

    Tom

    Tom, Aug 6, 2005
  6. Wheaty

    Wheaty Guest

    Doug G babbled on about this
    You, sir, are the best. I don't know how I missed the fact that an open
    source group likely has a public FTP... went dummy for a few I suppose.
    Thanks guys, and to Tom for offering to email the file. Up and running again
    have the emails I need and archiving the installers.

    Wheaty, Aug 7, 2005
  7. Wheaty

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Just a note, and I can only speak for a Windows XP installation.

    In fact, the files at the OS level in the mail profile folder are named
    the same as you name folders in a Mozilla mail app. So, if you name a
    folder in Moz or Tbird "bob.smith" then the file at the OS level will
    also be named "bob.smith". Hence, it's not strictly safe to tell people
    that the mail files are always the ones withOUT an extension. It is
    correct to say that those files with the .msf extension are index files
    and do not need to be backed up as they will be regenerated on the fly
    when Moz or Tbird run.

    Further, there is a deeper structure created using .sbd folders at the
    OS level. At this point my brain begins to hurt when trying to describe
    this structure so I'll let you all explore on your own. (now where'd I
    put the Excedrin?)

    Anyway, an important point is that when you back up a profile you should
    back up everything except (perhaps) the cache folder(s).

    Ed Mullen, Aug 7, 2005
  8. Wheaty

    Wheaty Guest

    Ed Mullen babbled on about this news:e5idnZ2dnZ0OZtWMnZ2dndzzaN-dnZ2dRVn-
    I think that is maybe where I went south. I only ever backed up the
    account folder, not the entire profile, which perhaps I shall change in
    my backup jobs.

    Wheaty, Aug 7, 2005
  9. Wheaty

    Doug G Guest

    I tend to think of Windows file extensions as being three or four
    charcters. So a file named "bob.smith" would make me stop and think.

    To prevent imported files from overwriting files of the same name, I
    select them, click copy and then paste, and move the files named Copy of
    Inbox, Copy of Sent, etc.

    To merge my profile's \Mail\mail.comcast.net folder with another
    profile's Mail folder, I would rename the mail.comcast.net folder to
    mail.comcast.net.sbd, move it to the Local Folders folder and create a
    new folder there named "mail.comcast.net."

    It's a whole lot easier and quicker for me to merge mail folders than
    try to explain how I do it.

    I delete cache folders and history.dat files before making back ups.

    Doug G, Aug 7, 2005