MacPro laptop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Conrad, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Hi,

    I've ordered the MacPro laptop (1.83) and it will arrive by mid-March.
    Perhaps the following statement will explain how I hope to use it in
    storing pics (not my strong point in the past).

    Best,

    Conrad
    of 25,000 photos, and - according to Steve Jobs - "scrolls like
    butter" (at least on a new iMac, we'll see how it performs on
    older hardware). The new version brings a new full-screen editing
    interface and new tools to help people choose among photos, edit
    them more rapidly, and print them not only in the usual books
    (which boast improved print quality), but also in new greeting
    cards, postcards, and calendars. Instead of making users apply
    filters individually to see if it enhances a photo, iPhoto now
    optionally displays a photo in a series of thumbnails that show
    each of the different filters pre-applied, so the user can just
    click the desired thumbnail to apply that effect to the edited
    version of the photo. In what is meant to be a killer feature,
    iPhoto also now includes "photocasting," which uses .Mac to
    share albums between iPhoto users (shared albums appear in
    the Source pane).<< (From: TidBits)

    Conrad, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Conrad

    C Wright Guest

    A couple of cautions for you regarding iPhoto:
    It insists on using its filing system period! Once you import photos into
    iPhoto it organizes them into folders with dates and numbers (not folder
    names that you might like to assign). You can create albums with names that
    you make up but these names don't show up in the Finder they are only
    visible when iPhoto is open. This can make it difficult to find an image if
    you open another image editor (Photoshop for example) and try searching for
    your image.
    If you shoot raw files with your camera rather than JPEGs iPhoto (at least
    iPhoto 5) has a major flaw. You can set iPhoto to open images in another
    image editor by double clicking; but, if you double click a raw file it
    converts it to a JPEG before handing it off! This negates the whole purpose
    of shooting raw in the first place! I have looked at some of the early
    reviews of iPhoto 6 to see if anything has been done to fix this but have
    not yet seen any mention of it.
    I am a Mac user and think that iPhoto, and the whole iLife suite, is an
    amazing bargain for the money - but the cautions above keep me from using
    iPhoto as my primary image organizer.
    If you primarily shoot JPEGs and want the program to do all of your image
    organizing, iPhoto might be just what you are looking for. And, I am sure
    that you will enjoy your MacPro laptop!
    Chuck

    C Wright, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Conrad

    Pat Guest

    You mentioned that you have had trouble with storing photos but didn't
    explain what troubles you have had. With all laptops, you are
    introducing another couple of risks into your storage problems -- the
    fact that they are much more likely to "disappear". They can also be
    lost, kicked, and knocked off the table. So good luck, but be careful.
    Get yourself a Kensington lock and make plenty of backups.

    Pat, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Thanks, Chuck and Pat for your thoughtful replies.

    Chuck, I've used earlier versions of iPhoto and completely agree with
    your assessment. I mainly use it to make a quick slide show with music
    for CD use. I much rather enjoy working in Bridge program with pics.

    Pat, my storage problems can best be described as 'lazy' or careless. I
    like working with pics, photoshopping, and printing some (up to 20x30
    with mats and frames) but I hate labeling them and rating them. I sell
    some of them - but they are one of a kind sales (usually).

    Best,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad, Jan 18, 2006
  5. I am thinking about the new laptop as well... iPhoto fairly screams on
    the Intel powerbook aka MacBook Pro...., but I doubt I will be using it
    for more than creating slideshows, DVD's and uploading to .Mac's web
    pages. Some day, if I ever become very consistent with my work flow, I
    imagine doing all RAW processing in PS 8, or 9, or 10 when it comes out.
    Right now with 8 (CSI), I use Russell Brown's Image Processor script to
    create JPEGs of custom sizes after batch processing the RAW images. What
    I'd like most is to be able to crop in RAW and apply curves in RAW, then
    export into PS files and JPEGs as needed.- does CS 2 allow this?

    John McWilliams, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Hi John,
    export into PS files and JPEGs as needed.- does CS 2 allow this?<<

    Yes, you may certainly do both of these (cropping and curves) in RAW
    when using CS2.

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad, Jan 19, 2006