    I am trying to install Borland's Database Desktop on Windows XP x64 but I get
    the message: "SETUP.EXE is valid, but is for a machine type other than the
    current machine" What does this mean, and is there any way around it?

    Guest, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Guest

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    It appears that the Borland application you are trying to install uses a 16
    bit installer, and this is not supported under Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Guest

    DKI Guest

    If the App is 32bit use the work arround if the app is 16bit then your out
    of luck since it will not work.

    You need the following installed if you have them or again your out of luck
    and as long as its not a licence thats been traded in for x64, Windows XP
    home/Pro or Windows 2000 (Would be better or if you use the same account
    name as on X64 to avoid issues)

    WinINSTALL LE whice can be downloaded here
    http://www.softpile.com/Utilities/Miscellaneous/Download_16745_1.html

    Then follow theses Steps:

    If you have the app in question installed uninstall it to then allow it to
    be scanned for changes before installing WinINSTALL LE

    Install WinINSTALL LE onto your system (Windows XP home/Pro or Windows 2000)
    and run the wizard to scan what your system is like
    Install the app and then allow it to re run another scan for changes to the
    regestry and the files installed and it will make an MSI installer for it to
    install on X64.
    Then copy the folder with the installer and files over to X64 and install,

    Just follow the wizard. its not that hard to make an installer for you 32bit
    apps you need or want to use.

    Best to keep it backed up for future needs.

    DKI, Aug 16, 2005
  4. I don't think database desktop made it past 16 bit, actually, now that I
    think about it. Though I could be wrong, certainly. It's been a while since
    I dealt with all things Borland. (And this from someone who was TeamB for
    many, many years.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Is there are way to try WinInstall LE without having to shell out money for it?
    I downloaded the program from the link you gave, installed it selecting the
    "Demo Version" option, but when I tried to run it, it gave me the message
    "Invalid WinInstall License - Please contact ... OnDemand..."

    Guest, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Wrong - when successfully installed (on Windows XP) the executable is
    DBD32.EXE.

    Guest, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Then it's the 16 bit installer issue. There are some workarounds already
    suggested for that, but ultimately it may require you to manually edit the
    registry and register any dlls involved if the other suggested workarounds
    don't resolve it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Guest

    DKI Guest

    Thats odd casue there is a was a free verison, when i downloaded it it was
    free unless they scrapped it. and decided to charge for it. cause its been a
    while since i downloaded it and used it

    DKI, Aug 18, 2005