MAC address of wireless dongle/setting up a wireless repeated using anetgear wnr2200

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by jon.harding, Jan 8, 2012.

  1. jon.harding

    jon.harding Guest

    Hi, my broadband is provided by a Huawei E585 wireless dongle over
    3G.

    Upstairs wireless signal strength is fine. Downstairs it is patchy.

    I have purchased a NetGear WNR2200 router. I am attempting to
    configure the "wireless repeater" functionality. In the NetGear
    configuration screens, it says that my SSID and encryption (WEP) have
    to be the same. In the configuration it is also asking for the IP
    address of the base station (the Huawei, it is 192.168.1.50) and its
    MAC address.

    I don't know how to get the MAC address of the dongle. I am running
    linux and an "ifconfig -a" shows in part this

    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:00:4e:b5:42:d5
    inet addr:192.168.1.100 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

    As far as I can see, the 90:00:4e:b5:42:d5 is the MAC address of my
    NIC on my computer, not the MAC address of the wireless dongle.
    Looking through the Huawei configuration screens, I cannot see the MAC
    address for the Huawei.

    The "ifconfig -a" also shows

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 78:84:3c:df:a2:66
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

    but I think here the 78:84:3c:df:a2:66 if the NIC for the lan
    connection, that I am not using (as the laptop is wireless to the
    Huawei dongle).

    I'd really appreciate a few pointers and any help as to what I should
    do next. At the moment, I can "see" the NetGear WNR2200 in my wireless
    SSID's broadcast but I cannot get the repeater functionality working
    without the Huawei MAC address.

    The NetGear WNR2200 manual is here: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16995
    The Huawei E585 manuals are here:
    http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwi...nfoId=3073&directoryId=5009&treeId=3619&tab=0

    Thank you

    Jon

    jon.harding, Jan 8, 2012

  2. I'm using Windows 7 Pro to test this but here is what works on my
    present machine, which is wired but has other wireless devices on the
    same network via the router.

    Open the network and sharing Center.
    When that come sup click on the "See Full Map" option.
    When that brings up some graphics, make sure the "Network Map Of" drop
    down is showing your active network adapter, in case you have more than one.

    Then hover your mouse on the icon for the device you want to find out
    the MAC address of. After a second or two it should display the device
    name, IPv4 address, possibly the IPv6 IP address, and MAC address.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jan 8, 2012

  3. jon.harding

    mursal143

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    With the right knowledge and preparation, shipping a boat is simple. We suggest you begin the planning process for shipping your boat at least a month before your ship date. This will give you enough time to research your options on boat trailers, choosing a boat carrier, shopping for quotes, and how to best prepare your boat for pickup. You should hire your boat carrier and confirm pickup and drop off dates at least two weeks in advance. For international boat shipping you need to give more time for carriers to research quotes and for proper prepping of your boat for extended transport.

    mursal143, Mar 10, 2012