    Am I really going to need SP2? It's an 80MB download and most of it is
    firewall which I believe can mess up 3rd party software. Who thinks it's
    necessary?

    Super PMD, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Super PMD

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Super PMD"

    Mr Pounder whilst giving flame on to a Benson & Hedges considered the above
    post & gave his opinion free of charge

    I did not bother.

    Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Super PMD

    Brad Griffis Guest

    There's a lot more to it besides the firewall. I installed SP2 yesterday
    and just chose to keep the Windows firewall turned off. I've had no
    problems at all with it. Norton hasn't had any problems and my home network
    is still working with no hitches.

    By the way, it's a 166 MB download. Make sure you're downloading from MS.
    Who knows what you might otherwise be installing on your computer!

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

    Brad

    "Super PMD"

    Brad Griffis, Aug 22, 2004
  4. Super PMD

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    By the way, it's a 166 MB download. Make sure you're downloading from MS.

    I think you meant 266 Mb Brad.

    I installed it about 2 weeks ago and haven't had any problems at all.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Super PMD

    Super PMD Guest

    It hasn't been released yet silly.

    Super PMD, Aug 22, 2004
  6. Super PMD

    Kenny Guest

    I've downloaded it, 266MB, but haven't installed it yet after hearing horror
    stories about things not working afterwards.

    Kenny, Aug 22, 2004
  7. Super PMD

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Try it Kenny,

    Just because a few people have had problems doesn't mean you will.

    I'm happy with it so far.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 22, 2004
  8. Super PMD

    The Prophecy Guest

    Me too. I had a few problems at first, but they were minor and were easily
    fixed. Just make sure that any programs on your computer are completely up
    to date, and if you already have a third party firewall, make sure you
    disable the Windows Firewall after installing SP2.

    The Prophecy, Aug 22, 2004
  9. Super PMD

    Super PMD Guest

    Thanks, is this the final version or beta? M$ said the final version would
    be 80MB.

    Super PMD, Aug 22, 2004
  10. Super PMD

    Super PMD Guest

    Does the new firewall default to 'ON' after install?

    Super PMD, Aug 22, 2004
  11. Super PMD

    derek / nul Guest

    Its 266Mb

    derek / nul, Aug 22, 2004
  12. Super PMD

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    PMD,

    SP2 is 266 Mb.

    If your on a 56K dial-up make sure you have some sort of download manager
    installed FlashGet etc.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 22, 2004
  13. Super PMD

    Super PMD Guest

    According to them, it is a smart download which you can stop and pick it up
    again. I am on dial-up which will be a bind.

    Super PMD, Aug 22, 2004
  14. Super PMD

    Thor Guest

    happen to notice whether it changed your bootup splash screen? I've
    installed it on a few customer systems thus far, and on those it changed to
    the "Windows XP home edition" splash screen. It now just says "Windows XP".
    No "home edition". Odd that they would change that. Hevent yet installed it
    on any "pro" systems, but will be soon.

    Thor, Aug 22, 2004
  15. Super PMD

    Thor Guest

    Thor, Aug 22, 2004
  16. Super PMD

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Yep Thor,

    It doesn't say XP Professional anymore just Windows XP.

    If you can call that a bug it's the only one I've experienced. I'm going to
    give a couple of more weeks and see how it goes.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 22, 2004
  17. Super PMD

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    But if you download the full SP2 package and install it there's a freeware
    program that can slipstream your version of XP with SP2 installed directly
    onto disk. I'll post the link for it in a bit.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 22, 2004
  18. Super PMD

    derek / nul Guest

    Try 266Mb
    You have been reading the wrong articles.

    derek / nul, Aug 22, 2004
  19. Super PMD

    Super PMD Guest

    Super PMD, Aug 22, 2004
  20. Super PMD

    mbowen83 Guest

    The 266Mb download is the network install meant for IT professionals.
    The version downloaded via windows updte will be signifigantly smaller
    than this.

    mbowen83, Aug 22, 2004