M$ reneges on supporting Win98

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 10, 2006.

  1. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    How does it grind me precisely?
    As far as I can tell you dont have a clue about linux, this is related to
    I dont use FC, never have
    Im using up to date OS, and default install
    Guess all those years of using linux show you learnt....?
    OH riiiiiiiiight
    That explains why my machines are busy working 24/7.. because they arent
    office machines

    Small minded people (such as you, lennier, and waylon), cant see past one
    use of a computer, and think thats what everyone should be doing
    Tell me numbnuts, what gui do I need for my firewall?
    Im betting that everyone on this list has a firewall, or adsl router
    Im also betting most people installed it using a cd supplied by the vendor
    or isp.
    Those firewalls and routers are still chugging along.. no gui

    Since when?
    All youve shown is you have nfi what linux even is
    Oh really
    Says you?
    You dont even know what linux is, how the hell would you know how to make a
    comparison???
    Then.. it must be you think like lennier...
    *shaking in boots*

    My bet is, you cant even work the plonk file in your nntp client

    Shane, Jun 16, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    Once Vista arrives, you can just imagine if Maxburk did a FC5 ( minus
    GUI ) versus Vista (with GUI ) comparison.

    And declared FC5 the winner in terms of hardware requirements and speed.

    The whining level in here would reach that of 747

    However, even FC (IMO) is a POS, but youre an idiot, so I'll let you believe
    what you like

    Shane, Jun 16, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    Well at least we agree FC is a POS ...

    J.

    Jennings, Jun 16, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    News at 11

    Shane, Jun 16, 2006
  5. T'was the Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:35:03 +1200 when I remembered Shane
    Whoa hold up there cowboy. Custom hardware platforms are quite a bit
    different than aging x86 machines being used as servers. Increased
    power used per computational cycle, unreliable hardware over time,
    these are quite a bit different than dedicated routers with no moving
    parts, in a relatively sealed unit.

    So are your aging servers all old x86 machines from eons ago, or are
    they custom made low-power machines used to power your fridge etc?

    Waylon Kenning, Jun 16, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    wrong again, as I pointed out before intel still do a roaring trade in
    pentium 200MHz x86 chips

    http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/mmx/mmx.htm

    furthermore
    http://www.soekris.com/

    http://www.soekris.com/net4801.htm
    A router with
    # 233 to 266 Mhz NSC SC1100 single chip processor
    # 32-256 Mbyte SDRAM, soldered on board
    # 4 Mbit BIOS/BOOT Flash
    # CompactFLASH Type I/II socket, 8 Mbyte FLASH to 4 Gbyte Microd

    Have a guess which OS runs on them

    http://www.soekris.com/net4521.htm
    Specifications:

    * 100/133 Mhz AMD ElanSC520
    * 16-64 Mbyte SDRAM, soldered on board
    * 1 Mbit BIOS/BOOT Flash
    * CompactFLASH Type I/II socket, 8 Mbyte FLASH to 4 Gbyte Microdrive
    * 1-2 10/100 Mbit Ethernet ports, RJ-45

    OpenBSd to the rescue

    oh, and how different are these to my box?
    I use ide HDD's and they use a Compact Flash card

    but of course, thats been my point all along, you have nfi when it comes to
    computers

    want another demonstration?

    http://www.embeddedarm.com/news/netbsd_toaster.htm
    Yes, thats a toaster running NetBSD
    big deal?
    Have a look at the processor, its an ARM processor, same processor used in
    PDA's, some cell phones and more
    *AND* it could run Linux (debian as a matter of fact) because theres a port
    of debian for arm processors

    You still dont get it.. all those years at school and you havent even learnt
    the basics
    Those fridges toasters, routers, w/ever are the same environment as my
    lowend machines
    You only see the packaging

    Best of luck with your degree, the world needs more people who cant think

    Shane, Jun 16, 2006
  7. You've made a claim right there.

    What current distro of Linux do you have installed on a PC owned by
    yourself, and do you use it daily?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 16, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jasen Betts Guest

    where does windows 2000 come in all this?

    Jasen Betts, Jun 17, 2006
  9. It doesn't.

    WinNT5.0 is not in any way a successor of Win4.9 .

    WinNT5.0 and Win4.9 were released the same year.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 17, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    Yet I still annihilated your rhetoric about comparing massively different
    Operating system foot prints.

    If you say so ... hahahaha

    Finally you got it .. i have been using linux for years in fact since
    redhat 6.1 was released.

    Everybody gets the fact you skewed the comparison, else why would you be
    flying off on lennier like tangents in a vain attempt to save face.

    Wild stab in the dark

    hardware routers
    hardware firewalls

    file server ... hmm you gotta be nuts

    Even a minimal based Smoothwall has occasionally needed essential security
    updates, so god help that company if they believed your rhetoric that rh
    7.1 will never need further support.

    Now lets move on.
    Yes I'm sure you will make a killing supporting both the hardware and
    software.

    Waylons snide remarks were just truths that you didnt want to hear.

    What you should of done is rationally / discussed waylons
    points as a ADULT, but instead you threw a tantrum that my 8 year old
    niece throws at her mother.

    Your vain ego will be your downfall through out your lif4e.

    Jennings.

    Jennings, Jun 17, 2006
  11. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    MaHogany Guest

    Which distro of Linux are you currently using on a daily basis?

    MaHogany

    MaHogany, Jun 17, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    No its fact .... hardly earth shattering but you and shane seem perplexed.

    Owned by myself , and not something my mom used at work ...
    hmmmmm hard ... but still do-able.

    Windows land for what its worth.

    Bought a 286 & 486 pc & Dos versions of 4 5 & 6

    might be earlier than 4 ... who cares

    Much later on windows 3.1 win95 win98 windows ME NT4 Win200 windowsXP =
    all installed / owned by yours truly.

    Linux ...

    redhat 6.1 6.3 7 8 & 9

    fedora core 3 = speed was utter crap

    Tried recent madrivia = crap for a lota reasons

    Suse 9.1 liked ( ran it for months)

    Im currently running Ubuntu and gentoo on my 2 boxen.

    You know the gentoo that you couldnt figure out Cuppa.

    Errr thats about it ....

    Jennings

    Jennings, Jun 17, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    MaHogany Guest

    What is a "mom"?

    MaHogany

    MaHogany, Jun 17, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    again, only in your mind
    Yes I do
    No.. your comprehension skills are at a base level it would seem
    No
    I didnt, I made the mistake of comparing the most uptodate OS available from
    OpenBSD, Debian, and FreeBSD with the most uptodate available from
    Microsoft
    One of them apples cant compete
    And again your comprehension is found to be lacking
    They were showing *me* a box that was running Redhat 7.1 as a fileserver for
    their lan, that was rock solid
    Cisco are
    So now its acceptable to make snide remarks...
    Go have a group hug
    I did exactly what I should have done
    If waylon has an issue with it.. he doesnt need a sock puppet to speak for
    him does he?
    PKB

    Note Below:
    As can clearly be seen, comparisons between the most up to date software
    available from microsoft with anyone elses uptodate offerings is seen as
    heresay by little people who nfi what a computer even is

    Shane, Jun 17, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    SchoolTech Guest

    Who is MaHogany? Cupofsick's new alias?

    SchoolTech, Jun 17, 2006
  16. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    SchoolTech Guest

    Far far far too risky for people to use 98 and IE etc over the internet,
    too many hacks and people don't download the updates.

    SchoolTech, Jun 17, 2006
  17. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    Her Mom is one of Shanes strange & neurotic claims
    Yep the sig file kinda gives it away ... not the brightest.

    Jennings

    Jennings, Jun 18, 2006
  18. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    MaHogany Guest

    I only change the nom de plume - all else remains the same - I am not
    seeking to hide who I am.

    That is why signatures from my sig file, and the x-face are unchanged.

    MaHogany

    MaHogany, Jun 18, 2006
  19. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    MaHogany Guest

    But what is it? I don't use "mom" for anything.

    MaHogany

    MaHogany, Jun 18, 2006
  20. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:58:55 +1200, Shane wrote:

    You should of asked the big question, how did i know about the smoothwall
    patch issues.. come on Einstein think about it. rattle those 2 brain
    cells ..

    I just assumed you had put that in place ,with your idiotic
    claim.

    1) Quote from you the company loves it >> because it never needs support)

    Even products like smoothwall need occasional patching.

    Your the next TITANIC waiting to happen.

    FWIW its a brain dead practice to put any additional services on any
    firewall , so much for your computer science grad you keep babbling on
    about.

    You work for Cisco now ...

    I was laughing at you making a killing ...that
    was your claim ..more money for you .. ill put into capital's

    *** YOU *** try backing it up ......

    Im not speaking for Waylon,,,, Waylon also quite easily ripped your
    arguments to shreds, and you sure dont like being made to look a fool.

    You need to go back onto your daily ritalin.

    Jennings

    Jennings, Jun 18, 2006