    was low traffic with low overhead
    Lets just say, more than 3 hits a day was a big day indeed let alone all at
    once

    Shane, Jun 11, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Seems to me that nobody here is counting correctly.

    Since Win98, although they are fixes, often the SPs are usually regarded
    by both MS and third party developers as incremental releases, eg look
    at the number of products that *require* W2K with SP4, or XP with SP1 or
    SP2. Some of these SPs (not all) were significant upgrades.

    That gives Win98, 98SE, ME, W2K SP1,2,3,4,4.? XP, SP1, SP2.

    That's 12 releases. Seems like a reasonable number to me. Not all the RH
    releases are significant, either.

    As for cost? Say Win98 cost $300 (I know it didn't but...)

    Over 8 years that is about 10c per day; *much* less than the power used
    by the computer that runs it.

    'course, running Linux may have reduced your costs by 10c per day.

    Whoop-de-doo.

    -=rjh=-, Jun 11, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    WTF. It is unavoidable. Humans make errors, even on simple tasks, and
    that complex software works as well as it does is nothing short of amazing.

    Look and learn; the figures are stunning:

    http://panko.cba.hawaii.edu/ssr/Mypapers/whatknow.htm

    http://panko.cba.hawaii.edu/humanerr/

    -=rjh=-, Jun 11, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Max Burke Guest

    Shane scribbled:
    Yep....

    Max Burke, Jun 12, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    Yours wouldn't run the latest FEDORA Core either ...

    J.

    Jennings, Jun 12, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    And where pray tell have I *ever* run that Distro?
    The hardware will run the latest freebsd, openbsd, debian, ubuntu, slackware
    Several others, but not the latest windows
    Not even 6 year old windows

    Shane, Jun 12, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    As soon as I start talking about uptimes, the power supply goes flaky (re:
    storm)

    $ uptime
    4:00PM up 10 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.31, 0.42, 0.30

    Shane, Jun 12, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    There is a call to actually have vendors liable for bugs.....

    Commercial vendors are trying to get it canned, yet they might find that
    OSS is more impacted than they.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 12, 2006
  9. Linux is under ACTIVE development.

    Also, you don't have to pay pots of dosh to get Linux - nor any updates
    nor patches.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 12, 2006
  10. Cool. :eek:)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 12, 2006
  11. That is *not* good to hear!!

    Even more reason not to have Nuclear reactors or weapons here in NZ!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 12, 2006
  12. What rip-off? I downloaded all the software I use from the Internet - all
    legally and without charge.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 12, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jasen Betts Guest

    or poerhaps to give potential cutomers confidence to to invest money in their
    product.
    There's a schematic in the back of the manual, including details on how
    heach part works, and if the firmware gives you trouble a commented
    dissasembly of that is available too.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Jun 12, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    32 meg of ram to run a desktop linux & KDE GNOME puts you squarely in the
    land of cuckooo with lennier ...

    J.

    Jennings, Jun 12, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    Now you show how little you know about linux, or any bsd
    Where does it say I use a desktop?
    My guess is you saw linux, once, as you passed someones window, at speed,
    and made your mind up from there
    The machines still run the latest software, they do so incredibly well
    considering their lack of resources
    Now run along troll

    Shane, Jun 12, 2006
  16. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    uh, in terms of say a new car when you buy it, it has 3 years warrantee,
    after that you pay for servicing....

    So, your choice is pay for servicing or pay for an upgrade, your choice,
    there is no get free support for ever.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 12, 2006
  17. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    Your statement "Neither of those machines would run 2000, xp, or vista"

    Well Vista is still in beta, hasnt been released ..... or do you have a
    BETA copy ? i guess you have a crystal Ball and can see into the future.

    So your really comparing Windows2000, windowXP which both have
    basically the same heavy resource demanding GUI versus your linux which
    your running as a server minus any GUI on that antiquated hardware.

    I thought initially you were making some clueless comparison against
    windows using a light weight TWM window manager & a kernel that's been
    tweaked to run with tiny amounts of ram, and then bleating Windows is
    inferior.

    But now i see your in fact comparing a linux server install / no GUI
    versus windows200/XP, either way I still think your in the lennier land
    of cuckoooooooooooooooooooooo .

    Have some sense of credibility / integrity and at least compare windowsxp
    / 2000 with a linux desktop thats running with the same GUI over head.

    Otherwise the comparison is meaningless and your posts become the
    clueless trolls like lenniers ...

    PS I only ever installed openBSD once .. but I have been using linux
    since redhat 6.1 came out ... yes that is a six.one you see there shane.

    I dont in any way think i know that much about linux, but i sure can spot
    the bollocks your babbling.

    PPS Now run along troll ...

    J.

    Jennings, Jun 13, 2006
  18. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    And none of them will
    If you want to talk server OS, show me Windows 2k3 specs that come close to
    mine, or .. and I'll be generous.. Windows 2000
    Theyre even more of a hog
    Tell me *any* windows OS that will meet those specs (and be within 5 years
    old)

    I'll even hold my breath
    Microsoft has released expected hardware specs for Vista, none of which will
    come *CLOSE* to my machines
    I did have a chance to have Vista beta when Nathan first offered the group
    http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2006/05/windows_vista_m_1.html
    Q. What is required to run Windows Vista?
    A. If you purchased a PC in the last two years, chances are good that you
    can run Windows Vista today. To install and run the core functionality of
    Windows Vista, you need:

    • An 800 MHz processor.
    • 512 MB of RAM.
    • A 20 GB hard drive with 15 GB of free space.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx
    A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

    * A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
    * 512 MB of system memory.
    * A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

    Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs
    To get an even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero
    user experience, ask for a Windows Vista Capable PC that is designated
    Premium Ready, or choose a PC that meets or exceeds the Premium Ready
    requirements described below. Features available in specific premium
    editions of Windows Vista, such as the ability to watch and record live TV,
    may require additional hardware.

    A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

    * 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
    * 1 GB of system memory.
    * A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
    * 128 MB of graphics memory.
    * 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
    * DVD-ROM Drive3.
    * Audio output capability.
    * Internet access capability.

    However my workmate never downloaded a copy, and since then Ive seen specs
    for it, I only have one machine that will meet its minimum
    And the last time I installed windows on this machine I had this trouble
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/1b38758c5f393a36?hl=en&

    Pentium 133 with 32 MB of RAM going to handle Vista do you think?
    Windows 2000 server cant be installed on any of my lower end machines
    Windows 2k3 server is equally out of the picture
    Got any other OS that will install UPTODATE versions on this hardware?
    Furthermore, because you arent capable of seperating a gui from the OS, that
    really 1)shows your lack of skill and 2)Stuck with hardware specs that wont
    come even close to what I can do

    Now you are saying linux or *BSD SERVER can run on less than windows DESKTOP
    Good spotting
    Moreso, Linux or *BSD SERVER can do more than Windows SERVER

    No matter how you look at it, Im getting up to date OS to run services on my
    computers

    and far more secure, and far more stable
    Um no, if I could install windows without a desktop , much like has been
    vaunted for vista, then by your definitions its not running an OS

    The gui is your handicap.. not mine
    Pardon?
    Now this is funny, you cant run a computer without a desktop, is that what
    you've been trying to say?
    I suppose next thing you are going to say is 4 of my machines arent running
    *any* os because they dont have desktops, even though they provide dns,
    nfs, ftp, imap, smtp, packet inspection, http, and irc
    Gosh, they must be running thin air then

    Really troll, do you have any clues?
    funny, you act like a complete n00b
    Because if you had all that experience you would know that linux isnt kde,
    anymore than windows is sygate firewall

    I know you dont know anything about linux, by your pathetic attempts to
    claim you do
    Seriously, you claim you have been running Red Hat since 6.1, and then you
    make all the false assumptions of ... lennier quality
    When was the *last* time you ran a linux machine?
    How up to date was it?
    Yes lad.. do move.. before we discover you are someones sock

    Shane, Jun 13, 2006
  19. T'was the Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:58:12 +1200 when I remembered Shane
    I just did a quick Trademe search for a 800Mhz machine with 512MB of
    RAM. One I found was
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=59462392&key=215802
    which is selling for $50, no reserve.

    Considering I'm guessing that

    A) The price of upgrading to Vista will be greater than $50
    B) I saw a dinner at Metropolis featuring a nice steak and some
    potatoes for around $30 + dessert and a drink for $20 = $50
    C) $50 petrol really doesn't go as far as it used to

    Then the minimum requirements of Vista are pretty reasonable compared
    to other things in the real world.

    You should see the hardware requirements to play upcoming Playstation
    3 games. They'll blow your server specs away. And my laptop. And also
    earlier super computer specs.

    Waylon Kenning, Jun 13, 2006
  20. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    Heh, as irrelevant as that may be.. Ive already got the hardware, Ive
    already got the uptodate OS, and Ive never been one for Playstations,
    although I was looking for one a while back for the kids

    One of the things that makes me chuckle is, the hardware for Joe Bloggs PC
    is a mix and match of several vendors, or a single vendor that has kept
    within the prescribed rules
    Yet by and large they go to a single OS vendor and refuse to look at an OS
    thats built the same way as their hardware
    Politics aside, its a funny phenomenon

    Shane, Jun 13, 2006