    biased sources. In real terms, Linux is more expensive.
    Antivirus costs next to nothing. Something like $30 per machine per
    year - that hardly even registers.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 11, 2006

  2. Because people paid good money for Win4.x and WinME is only ONE release
    behind its official successor.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 11, 2006

  3. NO software should have bugs.

    Defects are not acceptable in properly designed and written software, IMHO.

    If it has a bug then the developers have not finished completing its
    development.

    If you want to accept an inferior quality of software then that's your
    choice. But a bug is a fault - a defect - a flaw - a deficiency - in the
    software.

    Would you be happy to pay for a newspaper that had each third page blacked
    out?

    What about paying for a fridge that only worked every second day?

    Or a pen that could only write when moved horizontally and not vertically?

    Why should you accept a defect in software but not accept a defect in
    anything else?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 11, 2006
  4. How long ago it was first released is immaterial. That length of time with
    only one release (WinNT5.1) officially following WIN4.9 is entirely
    Micro$oft's doing.

    It is perfectly reasonable to support the current release and the previous
    one - especially given that many computers that were designed to work with
    WIN4.x are still around and still being used.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 11, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,
    so when was the last time you wrote program that went past 'hello world' ?
    do you even understand the underlying concepts behind modern operating systems
    ?

    Steven H, Jun 11, 2006
  6. No software should have bugs. if you are happy to accept anything less
    than excellence then you are ripping yourself and everybody else off!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 11, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Fred Dagg Guest

    My god.

    I take it then, all your talk about everyone chipping in on OSS
    software really means everyone except you? Because no-one with even a
    remote idea of what's involved in software development would make such
    a ridiculous claim.

    And I'm not going to return the paper if there's a spelling mistake on
    Page 6 - you learn to accept that, even the best proofed newspaper has
    the occassional spelling mistake.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 11, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Invisible Guest

    Goddamit, where's the support for my Commodore 64! I paid good money for that.

    Invisible, Jun 11, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Don Hills Guest

    In my limited experience, the main obstacle to new versions on old hardware
    is memory. For whatever reason, new builds need more memory. Sometimes it's
    the apps themselves that bloat, sometimes it's sloppy programming grabbing
    more memory than is really needed, and sometimes it's bugs such as the
    memory leak that Firefox has had for the last several versions related to
    opening/closing tabs. Linux isn't unique in needing more memory, Windows has
    the same problem. I do find it annoying that I need more and more memory to
    run essentially the same functions from version to version.

    Don Hills, Jun 11, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Crash Guest

    Are you using software? If so can you please why you are so happy yourself to
    accept such imperfection and why you yourself accepted such a rip-off?

    Just curious ;-)

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 11, 2006
  11. I wasn't aware of any flaws in the version of Commodore Basic that was
    included with the C64.

    Come to think of it, I don't think there were any flaws in Commodore Basic
    4.0 either - the version of BASIC that was included with the Commodore PET.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 11, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Don Hills Guest

    If you equate a newspaper to a typical program, the equivalent "bug level"
    would be one or two minor typos per page. In fact, newspapers are worse than
    that nowadays - and getting worse. Proofreading is clearly becoming a lost
    art.
    Quite so. There was a movement a while back to require software
    manufacturers to warrant their software (the program, not the media) in the
    same way as hardware manufacturers are required to warrant their hardware,
    with the same remedies under law. If I can find the article in what I
    laughingly refer to as my filing system, I'll post the reference.

    Don Hills, Jun 11, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    SchoolTech Guest

    98 is crap anyway. Why anyone is pulling their hair out over 98 is total
    mystery.

    SchoolTech, Jun 11, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Please don't troll. I am sure that there were. Any one who programmed
    actual apps for the platform would have found them. I can personally
    submit that my father who programmed some found some. He has died, so you
    can't ask him about them, but I am convinced they were there.
    Come on now, you know that any OS has bugs. FFS, even QNX has bugs and is
    used in nuclear reactors.

    Dave Taylor, Jun 11, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Max Burke Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea scribbled:
    The, IYO, why do you find any version of Linux 'acceptable?' when *all*
    versions of Linux have bugs that need fixing??????
    Like Linux??????
    And you accept and prefer buggy Linux because?????
    Ask yourself that when you're typing your response on your buggy Linux
    OS.....

    Max Burke, Jun 11, 2006
  16. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    Again you insist on taking things out of context, for home users no
    there is no cost, if upgrading in an enterprise there is a cost,
    obviously, whether windows is more freuent, expensive or not does not
    matter.
    Nope, lots of people are convinced otherwise, if you want to sit here
    with a closed mind that is your issue not mine.
    It is still a cost, as is for bigger organisation testing each
    anti-virus update before deployment and a server to hold those on and an
    automatic deployment and roll back plan, obviously you are not a sys
    admin....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 11, 2006
  17. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    because cup-of-tea has an axe to grind.....

    lots of people do still use it because its been paid for, in terms of
    performamnce for a dialup or other Internet use it is actually still
    good enough.....

    Those users who still use it wont patch 98 anyway so MS saying it wont
    be patched is no biggeee IMHO.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 11, 2006
  18. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    Its an interesting industry. If I sell you a car with defects, its up to me
    to fix them, regardless of how long ago the car was made
    If I sell you software, thats broken, theres bugger all you can do

    Shane, Jun 11, 2006
  19. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Shane Guest

    P4 100 MHz?????
    You must mean just Pentium, which wouldnt be able to run the current windows
    (that was my point, my machines still going strong, *and* is running the
    second to most up to date openBSD there is (it would be running the most
    current except I havent got a roundtuit)
    Furthermore, I was previously hosting my website on freebsd, on a pentium
    133 with 32 MB of RAM (When my site had no serverside processing) again it
    had the most up to date freebsd available
    Neither of those machines would run 2000, xp, or vista

    Shane, Jun 11, 2006
  20. T'was the Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:45:54 +1200 when I remembered Shane
    Fascinating. I scootered to Te Awamutu from Hamilton the other day. I
    did it, it was viable, took me an hour and nearly died a few times.
    But I did it. I see that the same was as say, hosting your website
    with a P133 with 32MB of RAM. I mean sure you can do it, but what did
    you do when you got more than say, 3 concurrent hits at the same time?

    Waylon Kenning, Jun 11, 2006