    principle, a wide angle lens could be zoomed electronically. I know the
    number of pixels needed for high resolution would have to be increased
    quite a bit but that might a logical extension of the Lytro idea.

    James Silverton, Jan 30, 2012

  2. James Silverton

    Bruce Guest

    The fundamental weakness of the Lytro system is its low resolution.
    For any given subject-to-camera distance, only a small proportion of
    the total number pixels on the sensor are available.

    A further reduction in the number of pixels by cropping the image,
    which is all electronic zoom does, would simply make the problem
    worse.

    Bruce, Jan 30, 2012

  3. The Lytro already produces relatively low resolution for the number of
    pixels in the sensor, so combining it with "digital zoom" is probably a
    bad idea.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 30, 2012
  4. James Silverton

    RichA Guest

    But typical of toy camera.

    RichA, Jan 30, 2012
  5. Oh, I was really wondering about future trends and I did say that the
    number of pixels would have to be increased. Mind you, I am old enough
    to remember the beginnings of auto-focussing and pundits who said it
    would always be too expensive for ordinary photographers.

    James Silverton, Jan 30, 2012
  6. James Silverton

    DanP Guest

    In short, the bigger the sensor area used to capture an image the better the quality.
    Having a small sensor and then using digital zoom which uses a small area of that small sensor will produce an image so bad anyone could tell.

    DanP

    DanP, Jan 30, 2012
  7. James Silverton

    RichA Guest

    That's the idea. Then you really won't be able to tell if it is in
    focus or not!

    RichA, Jan 31, 2012
  8. James Silverton

    Bruce Guest

    It is surprising how many people are being taken in by Lytro despite
    the severe shortcomings of the system.

    Bruce, Jan 31, 2012
  9. James Silverton

    nospam Guest

    it's a new technology. it will improve.

    nospam, Feb 8, 2012
  10. Given that it was revealed that Steve Jobs was personally very interested
    in Lytro, it wouldn't suprise me if there is a strong future in it.

    Ryan McGinnis, Feb 9, 2012