Lunix is not for home users...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg Parker, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Greg  Parker

    Greg Parker Guest

    Well as I said all along and this confirms it.

    " Red Hat's chief executive has said that Linux needs to mature further before
    home users will get a positive experience from the operating system, saying
    they should choose Windows instead.

    Linux is seen by Microsoft as its most dangerous competitor for desktop
    operating systems, and after a number of high-profile cases where government
    departments have switched from Windows to Linux-based systems, the OS has been
    making some progress. However, Red Hat said that the hype around desktop Linux
    is still mostly unfounded at the moment.

    Matthew Szulik, chief executive of Linux vendor Red Hat, said on Monday that
    although Linux is capable of exceeding expectations for corporate users, home
    users should stick with Windows: "I would say that for the consumer market
    place, Windows probably continues to be the right product line," he said. "I
    would argue that from the device-driver standpoint and perhaps some of the
    other traditional functionality, for that classic consumer purchaser, it is my
    view that (Linux) technology needs to mature a little bit more."

    Full link

    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5101690.html

    Greg Parker, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Greg  Parker

    Rider Guest

    I've always been of the opinion it isn't for home users. Unless the person
    at home is pc savvy. But for the average home user, no good at all.

    Rider, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Greg  Parker

    Rider Guest

    I didnt say whether it was a good or bad system, just that it wasn't
    suitable for the average home user. How is that 'bashing'?
    It also makes a change from all the *nix people bashing other OS's LOL

    Rider, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Greg  Parker

    Jerry Guest

    When LM 8.1 came out I asked my (then) 11 year old daughter if she could
    install it as second OS on my box.
    She reckons it was a no-brainer, LM has been her OS of choice ever since.
    :)
    Jerry

    Jerry, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Greg  Parker

    Rider Guest

    Yes and what???

    Rider, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Greg  Parker

    T.N.O. Guest

    LM?

    Linux Mandrake?

    T.N.O., Nov 6, 2003
  7. Greg  Parker

    T.N.O. Guest

    Yet another Linux user who cant set his clock...

    This thread isn't about Linux bashing, it is just general discussion.

    T.N.O., Nov 6, 2003
  8. Greg  Parker

    harry Guest

    Its Roger Shephard flamebait, and you know it ;-)

    harry, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Greg  Parker

    Warwick Guest

    mate, can you explain where you got your clock obsession from?
    You are making a career out of checking the times on posts.

    Warwick, Nov 6, 2003
  10. Greg  Parker

    Greg Parker Guest

    Get lost you little Boy..

    Greg Parker, Nov 6, 2003
  11. Greg  Parker

    steve Guest

    Greg Parker allegedly said:
    <feed the troll>

    Depends on the home user.

    How many home users would know how to regedit the Windows registyr if
    required?

    How many home users know how to install the WinXP patches BEFORE they
    connect to the Internet?

    There are many, many issues for Windows users that the "average home user"
    hasn't got a blind clue about.

    A person who wants Internet access and word processing and to listen to Cds
    or watch DVDs will be just as happy on linux as they are on
    Windows......and with a lot less hassle.

    </feed the troll>

    steve, Nov 6, 2003
  12. Greg  Parker

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Apparently he was late home from the pub one day last week and his misses
    threw his dinner in the rubbish bin and told him if he kept using his "my
    watch must need new batteries honey" excuse she would refuse to cook at
    all.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 6, 2003
  13. Greg  Parker

    T.N.O. Guest

    Dear I say it, he's right.

    T.N.O., Nov 6, 2003
  14. Greg  Parker

    T.N.O. Guest

    Getting married soon... one of the few things I can have influence on :)

    T.N.O., Nov 6, 2003
  15. Greg  Parker

    T.N.O. Guest

    nice, but I do all the cooking in our household... Im well trained

    and better at it :)

    T.N.O., Nov 6, 2003
  16. Greg  Parker

    harry Guest

    "Dinners in the dog !" :eek:)

    harry, Nov 6, 2003
  17. Greg  Parker

    T.N.O. Guest

    Two cats, but they don't eat real food, only those crappy little biscuits

    T.N.O., Nov 6, 2003
  18. Greg  Parker

    harry Guest

    You don't even know me.
    No wonder you have AI bots hitting on you !
    Try "Dare"

    Linux doesn't make a Windows desktop, buy a one of those if you want.
    Linux doesn't make a Macintosh buy one of those if you want.
    Windows doesn't make a Linux box, make one of those if you want.
    Its so simple that you probably won't ever get it.

    harry, Nov 6, 2003
  19. Greg  Parker

    T.N.O. Guest

    heh, thanks :)
    nah, I get it, I just like to wind people up as and when they deserve
    it... most in here are easily done.

    T.N.O., Nov 6, 2003
  20. Greg  Parker

    Jerry Guest