Lumix DMC-TZ1 Low light trouble.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Black, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. Black

    Black Guest

    Hey y'all,

    I'm having a lot of trouble getting flash shots with with my Lumix TZ1.
    Essentially I purchased this camera with the intention of taking photos
    of people's hands for my knuckle tattoo project
    (http://www.knuckletattoos.com) and I didn't realize that I'd be trying
    to take the photos mostly in low light situations (bars, tattoo
    parlors, etc).

    What is happening is that the photos are coming up black. I use macro
    mode, and I'm usually a foot to two feet from the subject. Auto focus
    light is is on, it comes up focused on the screen, and pow take the
    picture, no result. Sometimes I can get a very over-exposed photo, but
    not consistently or I could use the tissue/bar napkin trick.

    I've tried changing the exposure time, using and disableing the image
    stabilizer, and just about every iso setting. It just seems that the
    camera isn't matching the range of the flash to the focal range. But
    I'm totally guessing.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Nathan

    Black, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Black

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    I have a TZ1 and have never experienced any of the problems you describe. If
    you can duplicate the problem consistently it may be time to send the camera
    back for repair.

    Other than that all I can think of is to push the shutter button slowly to
    make sure the camera has time to do all it thinking and focusing stuff.

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Black

    lubecki Guest

    Taking macro pictures (at short distances) with on-camera flash is a
    little tricky. Notice where the flash is in relation to the lens.
    Because the flash is at some distance from the lens, it probably lights
    up an area just to the top and right of your subject, leaving the
    subject in the dark. Depending on what's around the subject you might
    get an occasional reflection, which would overexpose the picture.
    That's why you get inconsistent results.

    You need to direct the flash so it shines on the area right in front of
    the lens. The easiest way to do that is to give the flash something
    white to bounce off of. A bar napkin would work fine - put it above the
    flash, roughly parallel to the top surface of the camera. This should
    be enough to reflect the light onto the subject. You may have to play
    around with the angle of the napkin to get the correct amount of light.

    -Gniewko

    lubecki, Nov 21, 2006