LR5 - Jennifer's question - Synchronization

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Dec 17, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The following is copied verbatim from Tim Grey's newsletter. The
    subject is "Catalog Synchronization" (in LR 5). It addressees the
    question brought up by Jennifer.

    You can sign up for Tim's newsletter at http://www.timgrey.com/

    The following is copyrighted by Tim, and I am in violation of
    copyrighting law by quoting it in its entirety. Don't turn me in,
    please.

    Today's Question: I use a MacBook Pro with Lightroom 5 for travel
    photography and a Windows desktop at home. I store my photos on
    external hard drives. I would like to install Lightroom 5 on the
    Windows computer for use in final editing of photos. Once I download
    the Macintosh Lightroom 5 travel catalog photos to my external hard
    drive at home, please explain how I can update the Windows desktop to
    include any edits previously done on the Macintosh. Also, please
    include an explanation going in the opposite direction for syncing the
    desktop and laptop Lightroom 5 catalogs so I may use the laptop for
    further editing during travel or perhaps for presenting a slideshow.
    Tim's Answer: There are a few possibilities here, depending on your
    specific needs.

    My personal preference, which closely matches the approach I take,
    would be to maintain your “master” catalog on the computer at home,
    and a “traveling” catalog on the laptop during travels. You could also
    keep both the catalog and the images on an external hard drive,
    connecting that external hard drive to whichever computer you are
    currently using. And finally, you could (though I don’t recommend it)
    copy the catalog from one computer to another whenever you make
    changes, so you have a duplicate of your catalog on each computer.
    This last option is fraught with potential problems if you lose track
    of which catalog is really the most recently updated version.

    To me, the simplest and least problematic approach is to maintain a
    “master” catalog at home and then a “traveling” catalog when you’re
    away from home. You can them import new captures into the traveling
    catalog, updating metadata, Develop settings, and more along the way.
    Then, when you get home, simply use the Import from Another Catalog
    command on the File menu to import images from your traveling catalog
    into your master catalog.

    If you keep your catalog and photos on an external hard drive, this
    process is even simpler, because you would just connect the external
    hard drive to whatever computer you’re using, and then import or
    update images as needed. Of course, this also means performance will
    suffer a bit (in most cases) with the catalog on an external hard
    drive. It also means you need to travel with that external hard drive
    if you plan to work with your catalog, which can be a bit of a hassle
    depending on the size of that drive.

    I strongly recommend against the notion of trying to maintain a
    complete catalog across two computers. There is simply too much risk
    (in my mind at least) of updating the catalog on two different
    computers and creating a situation where you lose information due to
    such confusion.

    As for the subject of where to store your Lightroom catalog, I covered
    this subject in a little more detail in the article "Location,
    Location, Location" in the August 2013 issue of my Pixology digital
    magazine (http://pixologymag.com/).

    Tony Cooper, Dec 17, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    key phrase is:
    they're also the same as what i suggested already.

    he also neglected to mention smart previews, which is the ideal
    solution for the question asked.

    Guest, Dec 17, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yeah, but Tim is an established expert. You're just a guy who
    nitpicks and contributes negative comments and generalities like
    "that's beside the point" and "incorrect".
    So email him and give him the benefit of your unproven skills. I'm
    sure he'll appreciate your input.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 17, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    logical fallacy.
    knock off the insults and try to learn something for a change.

    and how do you know whether i did or not?

    Guest, Dec 17, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : -----------------------------------------------------------------
[...]
    : ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    To me, the fact that the question needs to be asked is a compelling argument
    against the use of Lightroom. I don't doubt that a less clumsy implementation
    of Lightroom's catalog would make for a simpler answer, but the fact that
    changes to an image are stored in the catalog instead of in the image file
    almost guarantees that there will be issues of the sort that Jennifer raised.
    I understand why it's done that way: it's a means of maintaining compatibility
    across a variety of proprietary RAW formats. But the price the user pays for
    that generality is high. For someone who uses more than one manufacturer's
    cameras, the ability to use one photo editor for multiple image formats may be
    worth the inconvenience. For me, and I suspect also for Jennifer, it isn't.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 18, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    nope.

    all that needs to be done in her case is either move the library from
    computer to computer, just as someone would move the photos.

    alternately, sync it (e.g., dropbox) with a guarantee of not having two
    people working on the photos at the same time or the database will be
    corrupted.
    that's not why at all.

    lightroom does what it does because it's significantly easier to have
    the computer manage all of the photos, including where they are, what
    they are, what adjustments were made and how to export them.

    that leaves the important parts, making them look good, to the user,
    and in a non-destructive manner.
    it's not inconvenient at all. it's a helluva lot easier than the
    alternatives.

    that's why lightroom is so popular.

    Guest, Dec 18, 2013
  7. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    LR is not for everybody. I still haven't decided to integrate LR into my
    workflow, but I'm giving it a fair try. With the exception of
    cataloging, anything that I can do in LR I can do in ACR.

    PeterN, Dec 21, 2013
  8. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    You soon may be able to do a sophisticated cloud sync, as part of a
    workgroup.

    PeterN, Dec 21, 2013
  9. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    soon?? it's already been happening.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013
  10. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I don't know what "Behance" is, but the page loads for this non-user.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 22, 2013
  11. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    That's why Adobe recently announced it is coming.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  12. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    This morning I ran into a guy who teaches LR to beginners. He suggested
    that I subscribe to Tim Grey's video tutorials. He said that the
    freebies Tim has on Youtube are only teasers. However he also
    recommended the tutorials on Scott Kelby's and the Adobe website.
    I'll wait for a rainy day for that.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  13. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    from adobe, maybe.

    you didn't say only adobe.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013
  14. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    If you do, will you starve, or might you learn.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  15. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Context is everything. We were discussing LR5. Look at the title of the
    thread.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  16. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    I find myself using that ACR filter to the exclusion of many of my third
    party filters.
    (note to nospam: I am referring to filters produced by companies other
    than Adobe.)

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  17. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    originally, but it's not the only asset manager available, and other
    options were suggested in the original thread.

    there are cloud sync options now, that do what you described.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013
  18. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    third party filters *means* non-adobe.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013
  19. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    That's my point. Its a no risk thing, with an upside. That's the same
    reason I accepted an invitation to enter a portfolio in a competition,
    with the prize being an acceptance for display in a gallery in NYC. I
    probably will not win anything, but I have nothing to lose.

    On a separate issue, involving the same principle, my daughter accepted
    an invitation to enter her dog in a Westminster agility competition. The
    dog's father won best of breed there, but her dog was spayed, so is not
    eligible for conformity.

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  20. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Not worth discussing. You never accept that you made a mistake.

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013