Love Firefox - but ......

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by papito, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. papito

    papito Guest

    I have been using and pretty much promoting the usage of FireFox (FF) over
    IE for the following three reasons:

    - security/privacy protection
    - security/privacy protection
    - security/privacy protection

    Although personally, I turned off everything under the sun IE to make sure
    it doesn't do anything I didn't want it to do or have some remote system
    "control" the IE, in the end, the issues with IE was simply too
    overwhelming. So the introduction of FireFox and its "focus" on security
    and privacy protection - BY DEFAULT - was very welcome!

    However, the more I use FF, I am beginning to see there some key concerns I
    have with it. No matter what I do (from what I know so far in setting and
    configuring it), it still has a "propensity" to do things I don't want it
    too!!

    BTW, I just downloaded FF 1.03 via the [Check Now] button under the Options
    | Advanced | Software Update and it added a "Update ICON" to my main menu
    tab that I don't want!! I didn't ask for it and I don't expect it! This
    is what prompted this inquiry.

    Rest assure, I love FireFox! So I am just trying to get some insight of
    what's going on and how I can COMPLETELY control and stop
    any"Security/Privacy" behavior I don't particular want.

    So:

    1) How to remove this green up arrow icon [Update(s) available] off the main
    menu. I have the check updates off. I don't want any automatic updates
    unless I specifically request it.

    2) if you type a typo URL on the address bar, it goes to the DARN GOOGLE WEB
    SITE TO DO A SEARCH! I see no way to turn this off. I don't want
    this!!!!!!!

    Anyway, I really like FF but I think it is a mistake for FF to promote
    "security/privacy" as a reason to switch from IE when in reality it is doing
    its own thing - relative minor, but still, unexpected behavior of "remote
    contacting" concepts. The FF pundits will use this to slam FF. FF doesn't
    need this.

    The last thing I want to do is go get the source code and create a
    "alternative FireFox" version (Trust me, I am 500% capable of handling
    software development of FF magnitude and more). No. I don't want waste time
    creating a more secured FF derivative. So I would appreciate some feedback
    on how to stop FF from doing things I don't want it too, atleast with the
    above two items.

    I'm sure it is a simple "answer", hence the posting.

    Thanks in advance

    papito, Apr 27, 2005

  2. papito

    Moz Champion Guest

    Its best to post individual questions, not an omnibus message, but
    regardless here goes

    Why did you use the Check Now button if you didnt want to know about
    updates? You asked (by using the Check Now button) if there were any
    updates available, and it told you and recorded it by displaying the
    Updates Available arrow! The program did EXACTLY what you asked it to do!

    You can get rid of the updates available by performing the update of
    course or
    You can also get rid of the updates available indication by changing
    app.update.updatesAvailable to false using about:config

    in Firefox
    type about:config in the location bar
    scroll down the list that appears until you see the
    app.update.updatesAvailable listing, clicking on it will toggle it to
    fasle (since its a true/false setting)

    You dont want any specific updates unless you select them... well thats
    EXACTLY what you are getting! You asked if there were any available by
    using the <Check Now> button and it told you - it didnt automatically go
    and get the updates or install them, it simply is telling you they are
    there! Its still up to you to decide if the updates should be installed.

    so far Firefox is only doing EXACTLY what you asked it to do.

    The Google search default for unfindable (mis typed) urls is controlled
    by the keyword.enabled preference in about:config
    You can turn OFF keywords (and the Google search) by again using
    about:config

    this time the preference of interest is keyword.enabled setting that if
    set to false will disable the Google search for a mistyped url. If you
    enter a url that cannot be resolved (using domain guessing) then Firefox
    will simply tell you that.

    Keywords and the resultant 'search' have been part and parcel of Mozilla
    products since even Netscape 6 and pre Mozilla 1.0 days. Most users
    appreciate the feature, but since you dont, then you can turn it off.

    Note: You can also change the keyword search engine as well, if you
    would like

    so far Firefox is only doing EXACTLY what you asked it to do (although
    in this case you didnt even know you were asking I admit)

    Moz Champion, Apr 27, 2005

  3. papito

    papito Guest

    Thanks for the information.

    I did not know about "about:config", nor do most people.

    What I said about the "Update Now" is that did run it on my demand. I don't
    have any automatic logic enabled. I did click it to see what it will do. I
    held my breath and cross my fingers, I admit. But I did not expect it would
    do things "automatically" but instead return a result. It did come back
    with a summary of a major 1.03 security fix with a high recommendation to
    proceed with the update. So I did, am my demand.

    But after the update a "little white on green up arrow icon" appeared in the
    main toor bar. This was not there before. I removed all google or all
    baloney from the toolbars. What surprised me was not only that it was there
    but the alternative keywords said "Update(s) Available." Well, first, I
    didn't ask for a BUTTON on my tool bar and to most person saying "Update(s)
    Available" it can definitely give the illussion that it did an "update
    check" and it was letting you know that "updates are available." Why not
    just say "Update Now?"

    In any case, I appreciate the "about:config" tidbit. I'm sure there will
    be million of readers who will benefit from this information.

    Thanks again

    papito, Apr 27, 2005
  4. papito

    xModem Guest

    This page should come in handy for you. Many of the entries aren't very
    intuitive.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_Entries

    xModem, Apr 27, 2005
  5. That button is telling you there are extension updates you may want to
    install. When you updated to v1.0.3, some of your installed extensions may
    have been disabled because they were not compatible with v1.0.3. The
    "updates" arrow is telling you that compatible updates for your
    extension are now available. Once you update your extensions it will go
    away.

    John Thompson, Apr 27, 2005
  6. papito

    Moz Champion Guest

    But thats EXACTLY what it did (Check Now). It gave you a indication
    that updates were available, just like you wanted it to!
    This indication shows up on your window. You expected it to return a
    result, well it did! The UPDATES AVAILABLE is the result.

    You asked it to check now, and it did. You updated the browser, but that
    still leaves any extensions you have. So it indicates that updates are
    available! You asked for the check, it did it! You can read Updates
    Available as Update Now if you wish, or you can take it at face value,
    it simply means that there are Updates Available, you can choose the
    time in which you wish to upgrade.

    Because 'Update Now' could indicate to some that there will be
    repercussions if they dont, OR, that they have to do it NOW! And the
    idea is that they dont, they can choose when they wish to upgrade,
    because they are available. The indication means EXACTLY what it says,
    that updates are available - it doesnt mean you HAVE to upgrade (tho
    its recommended that you do), it doesnt mean you have to do it NOW (you
    might not have the time now, you can do it when you do have the time).
    The indication means exactly what it says.

    You know how to remove it now.

    Moz Champion, Apr 27, 2005
  7. papito

    papito Guest

    First, there is no need to OVER QUOTE. Ok?

    No, I beg to differ. I don't need a REMINDER! Thats all it is; a reminder
    which I don't care to have. Sure, I did the "CHECK NOW" and I knew exactly
    what it offered and what I selected to do. I selected to download the FF
    1.03 update. NO MORE. NO EXTENSIONS.

    This does not give FF a license to stick a "reminder flag" in you face for
    the remaining items you didn't select to download, and leave it there for
    forever, with NO way to turn it off, until YOU do what you didn't want to
    do.
    There is a BUG in the setup.

    o You HAVE to download EVERYTHING. The OPTIONS to select is useless
    because it will bother you with the stupid REMAINDER ICON until you do so.

    o You can't turn it off with the update_notification.enabled = FALSE. It
    doesn't work.

    o After extensive exploration and trial and error, you have to change
    extensions.update.count to 0 in order to get that stupid icon out of the
    way.

    Look, this can of baloney is what gave IE (and Microsoft for that matter) a
    bad rap. As far as I am concern, FF needs to be very careful is its going
    to begin to "compete" with IE market.

    There is a simple solution. Add a checkbox to the Advanced | Software
    Updates section:

    [_] Show Updates Available Reminder Icon on Browser

    Ciao

    ---

    papito, Apr 27, 2005
  8. papito

    Moz Champion Guest

    Nope, doesnt wash
    Software Update has a seperate setting where you can tell it to check
    for Firefox And/or Extension and Themes

    If you had chosen to check ONLY for Firefox (using the checkboxes right
    above the <Check Now>) and done what you did (updated your Firefox) then
    we wouldnt even be having this discussion! You told the program to
    check now for updates to Firefox AND Extensions/Themes.

    If you didnt want a reminder, then why did you select <Check Now> for?
    The program did EXACTLY what you asked, it checked for updates to
    Firefox AND Extensions/themes, and it put the result up as Updates Available

    You can suggest all you want in the developers groups about what you
    would like to see in the User Interface, but since you are the first to
    complain about this issue, dont expect much. 45 million other users
    havent complained about it. Simply because you think it should work
    another way doesnt neccessarily mean it should!

    You know how to get rid of it (the indication) so whats the problem?

    Moz Champion, Apr 28, 2005
  9. papito

    papito Guest

    In the design world, these are two different concepts. The terminology and
    concept of "Check Now" has no connotation whatsoever with the terminology
    and concept of "Reminder".

    Or did you mean you were thinking "Check Now" combined with the non-UI
    obvious and hidden "about:config" switches, that taken together we really
    have a button that should say:

    [Check Now and Leave a Cookie Reminder if you don't update right now]"

    Yeah, I am pretty sure thats is what you are thinking.
    You are beginning to sound like Windows people where you USE to need 20% of
    the market to complain first before Microsoft jumps. Now it only takes a
    discovery.

    Sorry, I hurt your feelings for being "THE FIRST" (in your mind) to point it
    out.

    As a developer myself, I feel pretty confident if I did bother to go to the
    Dev Group and bring it up, I can convince the cogs it is a good thing and
    not a BAD thing. Hmmm, but maybe I should instead get the source code and
    create a derivative FF-SECURED version?

    Have a good one

    papito, Apr 28, 2005
  10. papito

    Frank Rizzo Guest

    As a developer myself, I feel pretty confident if I did bother to go to the
    blah blah blah

    Frank Rizzo, Apr 29, 2005
  11. papito

    Barney Guest

    "papito" <> had
    written
    Personaly I checked the two boxs because I want to be advised, as I
    am in windows xp, of any security problems or renewed attachments. As
    in windows, Firefox gives you the option to not be advised. The
    decision is yours. Windows will also update MIE if you allow it.
    Perhaps your right and software manufacturers shouldn't advise users
    of updates if the user considers it an assault but unfortunatly in
    your case, that's not by default. Perhaps the problem with freeware
    is it's inability to accomodate everyone who uses the program. You
    will be pleased to know that some software programmers charge you to
    update.

    Barney, May 2, 2005
  12. papito

    Wijja Guest

    Seriously.......you may as well stop now. FireFlop people are like a
    religious cult. No matter what, it's going to be your fault. Do what I
    did. Stop using FireFlop and Blunderbird and go back to whatever it is
    you were using before. For me, that was the Mozilla Suite. It kicks
    FireFlop right in the crotch.

    Oh, and I've never had any reminder B.S. with it, either.

    Wijja, May 2, 2005
  13. papito

    Big Will Guest

    I'll have to disagree. I used to use Mozilla Suite, but the problem was
    that it had trouble with handling IMAP protocals or something of the
    sort. Switched over to FF and TB, and I love it. In fact, I love it
    much better then the bloated Mozilla Suite. But, it's your computer, so
    do what you like with it.

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, May 4, 2005
  14. papito

    zutroi Guest

    zutroi, May 9, 2005
  15. Simple!
    quit, maikng, I mean quti making mistaeks. I mean mistakes.
    That's waht I did.

    Shirley Temple of Doom, Jul 31, 2005