    appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bob

    Bob Holloway, Aug 9, 2005

  2. Bob Holloway

    John Inzer Guest

    Have a look at this article:

    (307859) HOW TO: Change File Associations
    in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307859

    More info:

    Try this...open an image folder and right click one
    of your image files...from the menu, select...Open
    With / Choose Program.

    Make your choice from the list or Browse to the
    correct program if it is not in the list.

    If you want the default...choose..."Windows
    Picture and Fax viewer"

    Once you make your selection...be sure to check
    the box that says: "Always use the selected program
    to open this kind of file". (you will need to do this
    for each format....jpg, .tif, .gif...etc.)

    Also...you can right click an image and choose
    Properties / Change Button...choose the program
    you wish to use and click...OK / Apply / OK.

    Also...in WinXP, you can go to...My Computer /
    Tools / Folder Options / File Types tab...

    And the following site may be useful:

    Repair image file type associations in Windows XP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

    Still no success? Try the following:

    go to...Start / Run and type:

    "REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
    (without the quotes)(Yes, there's
    a space between 2 and S)

    Click...OK.

    A dialog box should report the following:

    "DllRegisterServer in SHIMGVW.DLL succeeded"

    John Inzer, Aug 9, 2005

  3. Bob Holloway

    why? Guest

    That would be -

    a) Picture and Fax Viewer doesn't load pictures anymore

    or

    b) You uninstalled / deleted i.e. lost the application

    IIRC (for Win XP) it's not an app on it's own but built into something
    else.

    You seem to have forgotten to mention which version of Windows.

    If it's XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_pic_and_fax_viewer.htm
    how to delete and reinstate

    http://weblogs.asp.net/expertzone/archive/2005/04/28/404917.aspx
    If you’ve recently installed a new image-editing program, it probably
    took over the responsibilities of the Picture and Fax Viewer. Use this
    simple command to make the Picture and Fax Viewer the default once more.

    That's all from a simple search on www.google.com , it saves you having
    to wait for an answer.

    Me

    why?, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Bob Holloway

    Unk Guest

    To reenable Picture and Fax viewer, click Start, Run. In the Run box, copy & paste:

    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

    Disable or Restore Picture and Fax Viewer:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm See Article #80

    Unk, Aug 10, 2005