    the start button and accidentally deleted the desktop shortcut. For the
    life of me I cannot figure out how to get it back. (and no, it is not in
    the recycle bin). Any help is appreciated.

    Wallygator, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Wallygator

    °Mike° Guest

    Look in the system (system32?) folder for a file called
    "Show Desktop.scf", and copy it to the quicklaunch bar.

    It's just a ascii file that contains:

    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3

    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Wallygator

    KeithS Guest

    Can you move the sliders near the START button, or if you have a >>
    double chevron near the START button, click on that. Is the desktop s/c
    there in either case? If so you can then reposition it in the taskbar.

    KeithS, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Wallygator

    Harrison Guest

    If the Show Desktop icon is deleted from Quick Launch, the procedure
    below will recreate the file.

    Open Notepad and enter the following text:

    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    Save the new file as Show Desktop.scf then drag and drop the icon on
    the Quick Launch bar or whatever location you want the shortcut to
    appear.

    Harrison, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Wallygator

    Wallygator Guest

    It worked! I used the notepad proceedure and got it back. Thank you very
    much.

    Wallygator, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Wallygator

    Harrison Guest

    Glad to help.
    Thanks for posting back with the results.

    Harrison, Nov 8, 2003
  7. Wallygator

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Just *had to get this in....you have XP set to look like Win98? I have
    Win98 set look like XP, lol. Oh well, we both have our reasons....

    In

    Juan Pérez, Nov 8, 2003