  1. doS

    doS Guest

    Its SP2 thats the issue, disable the XP firewall.

    doS, Feb 27, 2005

  2. doS

    stumpy Guest

    WinXP Pro
    SP2
    I have lost ability to connect to my broadband,
    Cox.net on my newer PC (6months of use, no
    Internet problem until yesterday).
    For 2 days I have attempted to get it back on
    the affected PC. Finally gave up, dug out an
    old one to ask you what to do.
    I'm using the same cable modem, same
    connections and same settings and all works
    OK on this one so the problem must be with
    either the other MB (it operates normally other-
    wise) or with the system installation. When I
    try to repair the XP system I'm informed that
    since I haveSP2 I cannot do that - if I proceed
    I will lose all settings made under SP2 and that
    may be a bunch of stuff. I could reformat and
    all but I have 60 G's of programs and that's a
    lot to replace.
    The cable modem is USB but I also have 2
    USB printers connected which work OK so
    I do not think the problem is there.

    What can I do next?

    stumpy, Feb 27, 2005

  3. doS

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Feb 27, 2005
  4. http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 27, 2005
  5. doS

    Jerry G. Guest

    Since you are on a high speed modem, I would think it has its own firewall.
    Disable the firewall in the XP-SP2 computer for the network connections.
    This should get things going for you.

    You can use the SP-2 firewall, but it will take proper configuration with
    your network set-up to make it work. If your modem, and or router has a
    firewall built in, there is no need to have a software firewall.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Feb 27, 2005