    you want to reboot...which is a good idea in many cases.

    Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 28, 2003

  2. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    This is true, but my point was the OS is mostly tied to the platform and
    controller. You can install five OSs on the same drive, and provided none
    of them mess with the other's partitions or the boot sector and boot files
    in a bad way, NT OSs won't really care about the other drives.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003

  3. zaqona

    Trent© Guest

    Agreed.

    Trent©, Nov 29, 2003
  4. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    Yet the "interesting" aspect here is that the drive has been moved from one
    PC having an MSI mobo to another but the fact that it's a different MSI
    model(which I assume then signifies different chipset drivers and hence
    controllers)is then enough to cause the non-booting phenomenon. So if I'm
    making this upcoming change from a current MSI mobo to the Asus one as
    mentioned earlier, you're saying there STILL won't be a booting up problem
    for the XP?

    Thanks for the input.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 29, 2003
  5. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I'm saying generally if you move from one motherboard to a different
    motherboard, it isn't going to work. The only case I know of that this
    works on is two, Compaq I think, machines. One is like the 315 and has an
    nForce chipset, the other is the 325 and has the nForce2 chipset. Since
    the drivers for both are identical (all nvidia motherboard drivers work on
    all nvidida chipsets, nforce, nforce2, nforce3). Otherwise, it's a pure
    crapshoot and it probably won't work.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003
  6. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    I think then that I'll use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard feature of
    XP to get my more critical files and settings backed up on another local
    drive I have before undertaking this upcoming mobo replacement. BTW, when
    you encountered that problem yourself were you able to correct with the
    Recovery Console commands, fixboot and fixmbr?

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 29, 2003
  7. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Most likely not, as fixboot and fixmbr just fixes the boot sector and
    master boot record, it doesn't tell windows "You are booting off a
    different controller now and here is the drivers for that controller"

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003
  8. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    But if the boot sector gets undone after the drive's moved to the second PC
    and then returned to its original place, shouldn't the fixboot and fixmbr
    commands work or is it too late because the prior change in the controllers
    from one machine to the other ruined everything(which was why I could only
    do the complete reinstall)?

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 30, 2003
  9. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Your problem is completely unrelated to moving the drive from one machine
    to another.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 30, 2003
  10. zaqona

    Grump Guest

    I can confirm the above...tried & failed!
    Grump.

    Grump, Dec 4, 2003
  11. zaqona

    osmethod Guest