    I had dual boot M.E. XP and my M.E. came corrupt so I wiped it. Now I can't
    get to my XP side.Can any one please tell me of a way to get my XP side
    back?

    zaqona, Nov 23, 2003

  2. zaqona

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I think you have hosed the machine, and you may need to reinstall XP.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 23, 2003

  3. zaqona

    mark mandell Guest

    In situations like this you pretty much have to reinstall XP. I know
    because I had the same thing happen on a dual boot with 98.
    Neither the Recovery Console nor the "repair" feature in the CD were of any
    help either.

    mark mandell, Nov 23, 2003
  4. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Recovery Console:
    fixboot
    fixmbr
    <reboot>
    done

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 24, 2003
  5. zaqona

    derek / nul Guest

    This is most certainly not my experience, the repair console is the way to go.

    derek / nul, Nov 24, 2003
  6. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    mark mandel, Nov 24, 2003
  7. zaqona

    Trent© Guest

    Do you even understand why that is?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 24, 2003
  8. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    To be honest I don't. So tell me why this happened............

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 25, 2003
  9. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Depending on what type of image you made (drive, partition), and how you
    restored it, you either removed all information about the XP partition, or
    you simply overwrote the XP installation's boot loader (which would make
    the machine boot to 98 without giving an option).

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 25, 2003
  10. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    But then it dawned on me just a short time ago tonight that just
    transferring the hard drive from one PC to the other caused the partition on
    which I had XP to get wiped out even before I ghosted the Win98 partition
    onto it(using the Norton Ghost backup on CD's). My guess then is that the
    BIOS in the second PC was responsible for overwriting the XP boot loader.
    The letter for the logical drive assigned to the XP partition was different
    on this hard drive than it was on the hard drive that originally came with
    this PC. Hope this isn't too confusing!

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 25, 2003
  11. zaqona

    derek / nul Guest

    Well it was you that stuffed up, you restored an old ghost image that did not
    include XP.

    You can't blame anything else here.

    Derek

    derek / nul, Nov 25, 2003
  12. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    The BIOS doesn't write anything to any boot sector. The letter assigned is
    a function of what operating system you were running at the time.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 25, 2003
  13. zaqona

    mark mandell Guest

    I'm not "blaming" anything or anyone for this. I'm just saying that
    apparently the mere transfer of the hard drive from one of my PC's to the
    other was enough to screw up the partition where I had XP which happened
    PRIOR to restoring the ghost image. As yet, I still don't know exactly WHY
    that happened. As the other tech just said, it wasn't the BIOS that did
    it.

    Mark

    mark mandell, Nov 25, 2003
  14. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    No, it didn't. The partition was messed up before that, or you messed it
    up in the process of working on it. Moving from PC to PC doesn't touch the
    partition structure

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 25, 2003
  15. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    My apologies as I am not an advanced geek just yet :).

    Instead what probably has happened is the loss of critical boot up files
    that go with XP like boot.ini or Ndetect.com. However, once the drive is
    put back where it formerly was(in the new PC I built), the use of the
    Recovery Console still doesn't correct the issue and I've wound up
    re-installing the entire thing anyway.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 26, 2003
  16. zaqona

    Grump Guest

    Have just spent a couple of evenings playing around with Ghost & Partition
    Magic, cloning & transferring 98SE & XP Pro between HDs & PCs.
    My findings were that 98 seems to work ok when moved between PCs but will
    need driver adjustments etc.
    XP does not, unless they're identical PCs.
    Ghosting dual boot OSs (or removing/swapping one) worked ok when I prepared
    suitable sized partitions on the receiving drive in advance. (As an
    alternative to cloning the entire drive.)
    Grump.

    Grump, Nov 27, 2003
  17. zaqona

    mark mandell Guest

    Then this pretty much demonstrates that moving XP from one PC to another is
    hazardous to its health(except for identical PC's which mine aren't), enough
    in fact to undo the critical booting files(at least in a multi boot system,
    I can't speak for a single installation).

    Mark

    mark mandell, Nov 27, 2003
  18. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    The problem is a lot of the stuff that is responsible for booting an NT
    based system is very specific to the machine it is installed on. For
    example, I swapped out my dying Epox 8K3A KT333 based board for an Asus
    A7N8X-Deluxe nForce2 based board, 2000 refused to startup. This is because
    the platforms are different enough that the old configuration and the new
    one don't match.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 27, 2003
  19. zaqona

    mark mandel Guest

    So since I'm soon planning on acquiring that same Asus motherboard that
    you've indicated here, I'm assuming that the multi-boot system I have will
    have booting up problems after it's installed being NT based? Would a ghost
    image of the XP be advisable which I'd then transfer after the new Mobo is
    installed?

    Mark

    mark mandel, Nov 28, 2003
  20. zaqona

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    No, multiboot systems have no problem with NT based OSes. The problem
    comes from moving the boot drive from one type of controller to another.
    Example:
    In my school we use removable drive bays, and for some insane reason the
    school has half Compaqs and half Dells. The Compacts have an old Intel
    chipset, the Dells use a really new Intel chipset. If we installed 2000 or
    NT onto a drive in a compaq, it won't boot off the dell, and vice versa.
    Multiple OSs on the same system won't change anything.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 28, 2003