    But I am in a Yahoo group for birds, and that seems to be working all right
    now.
    New posts come by email to xtra.

    Geopelia, Oct 21, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geo, you will not *have* to get another program when XP stops getting
    updates. XP will not stop working and Trend should continue to support
    it. But talk to your computer man.

    Most of the issues with XP will have been fixed so there should be few
    updates these days. However there may be updates to Internet Explorer
    and other programs, but those should not stop when XP stops getting updates.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 21, 2012

  3. I'm going to have to get another program when XP stops getting updates etc,
    so the computer man will set it all up.[/QUOTE]

    Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without the
    'updates'. :)
    If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of MS'
    better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't necessarily
    bad ... don't we. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 23, 2012
  4. Actually you don't. You can continue to use XP if you want to without the
    'updates'. :)
    If it works now, it's likely to continue to work ... and XP is one of MS'
    better offerings. Yes, it's old ... but we know that old isn't necessarily
    bad ... don't we. :)
    [/QUOTE]

    Plus having old Hardware with No WIN7/8 support, I have one of those
    problems with a $800 HP scanner.

    Frank Williams, Oct 23, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    victor Guest

    Plus having old Hardware with No WIN7/8 support, I have one of those
    problems with a $800 HP scanner.
    [/QUOTE]

    Have you tried Vuescan ?
    http://www.hamrick.com/
    My old Epson scanner doesn't have win 7 support, but it works with vuescan.

    victor, Oct 23, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
    computer firm changed it.
    What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.

    The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.

    Geopelia, Oct 23, 2012
  7. I started with Windows ME. Then XP came in, but it was some years before the
    computer firm changed it.
    What a huge improvement! The computer is about 14 years old.

    The updates come in about once a week.I haven't a clue what most of them do.[/QUOTE]

    Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to decide what
    gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave that choice to MS. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 24, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Really ? First thing I do is to turn auto updates off. I want to decide what
    gets 'updated' ... and I sure wouldn't want to leave that choice to MS. :)
    [/QUOTE]
    Do you actually check what each one is for, Bruce?

    I used to do that back in the days of Windows 95/98. But I've not done
    it for ages. I just accept the lot. These day there is very very rarely
    a dud.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 24, 2012

  9. They come in once a month Plus your computer is to OLD to run the latest
    Windows.

    Frank Williams, Oct 24, 2012
  10.
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 24, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Is that Windows 8? I don't think I want that, it looks very complicated.
    Like a mobile phone, we don't have one of those.

    Perhaps they will do a Windows 9 that anyone can use.

    The update people say what the computer needs. I think I've got enough SP
    versions

    Something comes in from Microsoft, or I can get it from the Start menu.

    Trend Micro has just sent me a disc for 2013. I haven't installed it yet.
    I managed to install the last one, and if I get stuck the computer man will
    do it.

    If the computer is too old, the computer man will add things. He stuck some
    more memory in it last time.

    Geopelia, Oct 24, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    [/QUOTE]

    Kool! An old pice of hardware still delivering the goods. I read a few ng
    and many of the posters ahve new hardware, and some do not.
    Good on you Bruce. However have you considered, Geo, as a user; vs the enemy
    out there?

    While Ms Windows is off my shopping list, I have to say that in recent years
    she has got somewhat better at helping the average Jane Doe from the attacks
    of the nsaty people out there.

    So, in my view, Geo; go with the updates. The enemy adpats, and users (OS)
    have to also.

    Software programmes, like evolution, are never completed.

    Gordon, Oct 24, 2012

  13. XP should have SP3 installed.

    Forget WIN 8 no one likes it..

    Frank Williams, Oct 24, 2012

  14. If you want to think of Windows 7 MS has a program to test your PC if
    it can work on it..

    Frank Williams, Oct 24, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Wise choice, more RAM is always good. Like old people old computers benefit
    from more memory ;-)

    Gordon, Oct 24, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Yes. it's got SP3 now.

    The last disc I got from Trend Micro checked the computer to see if I had
    got the necessary things.
    I suppose this 2013 disc will do the same.
    I have to pay again in March 2013. I expect they will let me know.

    Geopelia, Oct 24, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I stick things in Favourites if I think I can't remember them.
    Or look up what people tell me here.

    Geopelia, Oct 24, 2012
  18. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    I've not had an issue in many years. I used to get them all the time.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 24, 2012
  19. Geopelia