Lost Clusters on XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Schutkeker, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. What is the XP tool used to retrieve lost clusters, equivalent to scandisk
    under Win 98?

    John Schutkeker, Sep 20, 2004

  2. John Schutkeker

    Dalgibbard Guest

    go to start> run and type "cmd"
    then type "chkdsk /f"
    or "chkdsk G: /f" for example if you wanted to check drive 'g'
    If the drive is in use or cannot be locked then scan can be scheduled for
    reboot.

    Dalgibbard.

    Dalgibbard, Sep 20, 2004

  3. Thanks. I ran chkdsk/r to recover a file that disappeared. Do you know
    where XP puts the recovered files?

    John Schutkeker, Sep 21, 2004
  4. John Schutkeker

    JT Guest

    Under my porch buried in a mason jar....

    JT, Sep 21, 2004
  5. PLONK

    John Schutkeker, Sep 23, 2004