Loss of DNS/ARP responses from Linksys WAG54G

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a host PC running Windows XP SP2, with a wired connection to a
    Linksys WAG54G with firmware 1.02.7. I am using a static IP address.

    Occasionally the internet connection stops reponding to browser link clicks.
    A few seconds after clicking on a link an Alert box pops up:-
    "www.websitename.com could not be found. Please check the name and try
    again."

    Using Ethereal to trace activity in this situation shows :-
    The host PC sending DNS queries to the router, and router not responding.

    The router admin page also becomes inaccessible. Using Ethereal to
    trace activity shows :-
    The host broadcasting "ARP who has 192.168.1.1" (ie the router address)
    and getting no reply.

    It takes a reboot of the PC to fix the problem (no reboot of the router
    is necessary).

    Any suggestions?

    Guest, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Guest

    asosatterdw Guest

    Do you have all of the latest windows updates, the most current BIOS
    for your PC, and the latest firmware on both your router and wireless
    card? Start there.

    asosatterdw, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Guest

    merv.hrabi Guest

    next time this happens, discoonect the Ethernet cable from your PC and
    then reconnect to see if connectivity is restored.

    Also try another port on the router if it has multiple port for wired
    connections

    merv.hrabi, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for your thoughts. My Windows XP is fully up to date, and I have
    the latest motherboard BIOS.

    The WAG54G firmware could be an problem- I have 1.02.7, which isn't on
    their download page anymore; they seem to have reverted to 1.02.1

    Guest, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the ideas. Disconnnecting and reconnecting to the same
    Ethernet port doesn't restore connectivity, nor does disconnecting and
    reconnecting to another Ethernet port.

    Guest, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Guest

    merv.hrabi Guest

    Could you provide some additional background/ history of this proble?

    Did you have the problem before you upgraded to SP2/

    Do you have access to another comnputer htat you could plug into the
    router?

    It seems htat the problem is with you PC not with the router.

    Also be aware that even thoug a packet is captured by Etherreal it is
    no proof that it actually made it to the wire. For that you would need
    to put an Ethernet hub between you PC and the rotuer and plug anothyer
    PC running Etherreal into that hub.

    merv.hrabi, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I had SP2 loaded before I got the wag54g and broadband, so I can't
    comment on whether the loss of connectivity problem would have existed
    before SP2.

    The symptoms were that the PC could happily access the internet for a
    while, and then suddenly go into a mode where it ignored all link
    clicks. It seemed more inclined to enter this mode shortly after
    power-on (ie about 70% chance of going into the ignore mode within the
    first 10 minutes of being powered up). After the power had been on for
    30 mins it seemed ok (ie it didn't go into this ignore mode).

    I have now reverted to the 1.02.1 firmware for the wag54g (it seems that
    1.02.7 isn't available anymore). This has cured one problem that I had
    earlier (ie the log viewer was not seeing logging information). I'll
    try this setup for a few days and see if it also cures the connectivity
    problem. If it doesn't cure it then I'll set up another PC to monitor
    the LAN traffic as you suggest.

    Thanks to all.

    Guest, Feb 15, 2005