    who have said to ask Belkin, who are at least trying to reolve the problem,
    but without any success.

    Has any body got any ideas?

    Guest, Mar 14, 2006

  2. I know this isn't going to be much help - hopefully someone in the UK can
    provide more specific troubleshooting. But, sharing any kind of AOL
    connection has always been troublesome because the if the process is even
    possible, it inevitably seems to have peculiar and unique requirements. In
    your case AOL claims that AOL Gold supports home networking, but they also
    claim to support only certain routers, recommend that you give the router a
    screen name, and generally impose recommendations/requirements that apply to
    no other kind of Internet connection, etc. Start here:

    http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/features/networking_faqs.html?promo=
    228937&promoCode=228937

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Mar 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Many thanks Doug,

    The answer was a bit over my head, so I'll ask one of my IT savy buddys to
    help. I'll get back to you and let you know how I've gone on.

    Best Regards

    Dave
    --
    Kind Regards

    Dave

    Guest, Mar 15, 2006
  4. The short version is that sharing Internet connections is usually easy
    unless you are dealing with AOL. Then it's .............well, different.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Mar 15, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Notwithstanding the comments about AOL - my recent experiences with a Belkin
    network adapter (now abandoned) would make me check this out thoroughly. If
    possible, beg borrow, or steal another make of modem/router and try that.

    Peter C

    Guest, Mar 16, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Many tahnks Peter,

    I've now employed the services of an expert on a retainer basis, so I'm
    hoping that all my problems go away. One significant that I did learn whilst
    going through the difficulties is that AOL have been providing thier Gold
    service, but apparently my phone line is only good enough to run thier silver
    service.

    Guest, Mar 17, 2006
  7. I knew this would turn out to be an uniquely AOL issue. Per their 'support'
    page:

    "Do you support home networking on AOL Broadband Silver?

    No, we do not support home networking on AOL Broadband Silver. If you wish
    to share your broadband connection between computers in your home, you must
    subscribe to either the AOL Broadband Gold or Platinum services."

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Mar 17, 2006