Losing wireless internet connection when oboard NIC enabled

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Evan, May 18, 2006.

  1. Evan

    Evan Guest

    Folks,

    Thought I'd use my PC's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) facilities to
    allow internet access to our Xbox 360. I plan on doing this using the
    previous defunct onboard NIC in my PC. I cannot use my existing router
    as it is too far from my PC for the Xbox ethernet cable to reach. The
    wireless adapter for the Xbox is crazy expensive. I trust I can share
    a shared connection?

    However, as soon as I enable the onboard NIC in my BIOS, Windows goes
    mental and can't figure out how to connect to my wireless router using
    my USB adapter. If I pick the repair option, the wireless connection
    gets an "assigned" IP address that will not provide internet access.

    The only fix to this is again disabling the onboard NIC in the BIOS.
    I'm using a WRT54GS with DHCP enabled. It works like a dream other
    than this hitch.

    Surely there is a simple answer to this. Thanks.

    Evan

    Evan, May 18, 2006