Losing wireless connection after 5 mins

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Orson, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Orson

    Orson Guest

    I've just bought a Toshiba Dynabook, and I'm having major problems with my
    LAN. I'm extremely untechnically-minded, and am drowning in a sea of
    acronyms.

    My desktop is fine, but the new laptop can see the network, but is unable to
    get an IP address (it says) even if I click on 'repair'. It has some kind of
    built in wireless LAN card.

    The only solution for me is to unplug my router, and then plug it back in. I
    click on repair, and can connect to the Internet.

    However, after 5 minutes, it suddenly loses the connection, and I'm back to
    the beginnning. Holding my mouse over the taskbar thingee tells me that it
    can see the network, and that the signal is very strong. I have no idea what
    to do. The kicker is that I'm in Japan (my OS is Japanese), and I can't read
    the manuals very well!

    When it is connected (for the precious few minutes), the connection status
    says that the address type is assigned by DHCP, and the IP is one digit
    different from the one on my desktop.

    Any suggestions would be gratefully received. The simpler the English, the
    better....

    Orson, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Actually I'm stealing Craig's reply to a similar post:

    Without knowing your exact configuration and looking at the symptoms I'd
    suggest that you look at the 802.1x settings on your client.

    If your connecton is dropping every 5-6 minutes it could be caused by having
    802.1x set on your connection. If so, follow the steps in this article and
    see if it resolves the issue for you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814123

    The article references SP1 but it applies to SP2 as well. Basically, we
    disconnect from a network if the client is set to do 802.1x and
    authentication doesn't succeed (we use the rule that if you set it, then you
    REALLY wanted to authenticate using 802.1x).

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], Oct 14, 2004

  3. Carey Holzman, Nov 10, 2004