Losing network drive

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by LS, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. LS

    LS Guest

    guys,

    we have recently move from into a new office location, and with it i
    have migrated our core switch from the old cat 5500 to a 4506. becuase
    of the distance from the datacenter to the user's area, we have build
    a cross connect rack in between using 2950-48 switches, which are
    connected back to the 4506 via fiber. problem is after the move,
    users has been complaining that their network drive on the file and
    print server has been droping, meaning they see a red "X" on the
    network drive mapping on the exproler window. but, if you were to
    consistantly click on it a couple of times, you will be able to get to
    it. we have never had this problem with the 5500. but, before the
    move, we were in a smaller area, hence no access switches was needed
    then. the F&P server and users were all connected to the same 5500.
    the distance from the server room to the user's area is around 90
    meters. i am not seeing any crc or drop packets on the gbic interface
    on both the 4506 as well as the 2950. since some of our legacy apps
    actually utilize the map drive, it would hang, everytime the users
    lose the network drive.

    Thank you in advance.

    LS

    LS, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Is the switch hardcoded for duplex to the user workstations?
    It sounds like it may be a duplex issue on the workstation ports, not the
    fiber.

    --
    Steven BerkHolz
    Send to Domain TESCOGroup dot com, username SB

    Note: you may also want to know that you should never send mail to:

    -abuse.org

    BerkHolz, Steven, Jul 1, 2004

  3. LS

    LS Guest

    the ports on the 2950s are all set to auto, and by default it picks up
    100 full. but let me try hardcoding it to full and see what happens.
    thanks.

    LS

    LS, Jul 2, 2004
  4. LS

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Use pathping on the pCs to find out if you're dropping packets along the
    way.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jul 2, 2004
  5. Did you try 'spanning-tree portfast' on the interfaces (set port host if
    you are using CatOS on the 4506)?

    Lothar

    Lothar Hofmann HRZ / computer center Mail:
    Universitaet Siegen
    Hoelderlinstr. 3 Phone: +49 271 740 4760
    D - 57068 Siegen Fax: +49 271 740 2523

    Lothar Hofmann, Jul 2, 2004
  7. LS

    PES Guest

    I don't think the problem is with your switches. Take a look at this
    Microsoft article
    http://tinyurl.com/fmjc

    PES, Jul 2, 2004
  8. LS

    AnyBody43 Guest

    PATHPING - fabulous.

    I have been doing the same thing for years with
    trace(rt)/(route) and ping. The manual process is clearly
    cumbersome and prone to error.

    I had even considered writing my own but I do so little
    programming now that it would have been quite an effort.

    Even just the asynchronous (well fast anyway) trace route makes
    it worthwhile.

    Best thing Microsoft since ...... Word/Excel. I do hear that the
    new software development environment is pretty special too.

    Thanks.

    AnyBody43, Jul 2, 2004
  9. LS

    LS Guest

    Autodisconnect is not enable on the server. so, what i have did so
    far is turn on spantree port fast as well as hardcode full duplex to
    the server port. its been running fine so far today..... (touch
    wood)... hopefully it will stay that way.

    Any way, thanks a million to all that help out. hope this group will
    continue to stay informative and usefull to all network admins out
    there for years to come.

    LS

    LS, Jul 5, 2004