    then at night, zap! It's reboot time. Windows XP is new to me. Are
    there tweaks in there that I should be making? Thanks.

    , Feb 17, 2004

  2. TehGhodTrole Guest

    Given the problems with your HDD and your lack of understanding about what
    has been told to you, maybe you should consider trading your computer in on
    a Game Boy.

    TehGhodTrole, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Unk Guest

    Check to see if the MTU and RWIN are optimized for the cable modem.
    MTU-1500 RWIN-32767
    Tweak test: http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    Make any recomended changes with their "DrTCP", reboot and test again.
    http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.zip

    Also see: Navas Cable Modem-DSL Tuning Guide
    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

    Here's a good speed test site:
    http://speedcheck2.optonline.net/speedcheck/speedcheck.html

    Unk, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Guest

    Another ignorant asshole heard from.

    , Feb 17, 2004
  5. TehGhodTrole Guest

    I agree with your post. Of course, next time you post, you might first like
    to take a course in basic English.

    TehGhodTrole, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Soup Guest

    Was using a cable modem hooked up to a NIC, changed to a USB
    connection that didn't help. I was reduced to formatting the hard drive
    and re-installing Win XP, that cured it . In fact whenever my
    hardware provider installed Win XP (new hard drive ,under
    warranty) was getting uncommanded disconections and had to
    install Win XP myself. again. So obviously something my supplier
    was doing wasn't 'liked' by my cable modem.

    Soup, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Smirnoff Guest

    Hi. Unk,
    I did the tests you recommended. I have WinME + ADSL (Broadband
    advertised at 500kbps).

    My RWIN setting was 32768 but I was advised to reduce it in the range
    5840 - 13140.
    I take it that my original setting was the default for my old 56k
    internal modem.
    I duly changed it to the higher of the range (13140) and have no
    problems so far.
    Have also done a speed test which returns 475kbps.
    What puzzles me is, if ADSL is so much faster, why should I have to
    reduce the amount of packets received before acknowledgement?
    Hope I've explained it ok.
    TIA

    Smirnoff, Feb 17, 2004