    turn off my computer, unplug my modem and router and then turning them all
    back on. Sometimes I have to do this twice a day. Any help would be really
    appreciated.

    Robert Paulson, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Robert Paulson

    ICee Guest

    How are things in Buffalo? Adelphia is well known for such problems (I
    know from first hand experience :( ). Try asking in
    *adelphia.powerlink* and/or *adelphia.powerlink.windows* newsgroup.
    There are Adelphia techs there that will generally answer questions.

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Are you using any sort of software firewall?

    BTW, "repair" is not generally used to renew an IP address; assuming you
    are not in Win9x, use Start, Run, CMD.EXE, and the command IPCONFIG
    /RENEW. "Repair" is for fixing software issues relating to the
    connection, which does not seem to be what you have.

    The most likely reason for your problem is actually that the router is
    going out-of-range for some reason, long enough for the system to be
    unable to renew its DHCP lease; in that case, a reboot often will resolve it.

    Also sometimes with cable connections, someone else in the neighborhood
    could be getting new cable internet service, and this often can disrupt
    your connection (since they're all on one loop), and to fix that you would
    just unplug the cable modem for a few minutes, tops, and then plug it in
    again and your router should be able to get a new DHCP address without
    your doing anything more. Assuming your computer can still see the
    router, nothing more is needed ... but I have to admit, I'm not clear on
    whether you mean the router can't renew or the computer can't.

    Last, cable connections in some areas are just notoriously flaky, and drop
    off that way; ask your neighbors if they have similar experiences, and
    that will let you know what's the norm for your area.

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Robert Paulson

    Willard Guest

    In my area things were good from 2:00am to 6:00am, other times, drop
    offs and extremely slow with long waits...
    Solved by going from cable co. to phone co. DSL service...

    Willard

    Willard, Jan 14, 2004