    beware most ISP modems limit there supported network mine only supports
    three directly that why I was a managed switch
    Smile

    Smiles, Jun 27, 2009

  2. John McCabe

    Char Jackson Guest

    He's using a modem/router combo device. The router portion includes a
    DHCP server. His printer gets an IP via DHCP and the computer has a
    static address.
    I've still never seen a switch with a DHCP server. DHCP client, yes,
    but a DHCP server would be odd.

    Char Jackson, Jun 27, 2009

  3. John McCabe

    John McCabe Guest

    I was pinning my hopes on that too - no joy! It looks like some weird
    incompatibility. I might try updating the firmware in my router, we'll
    see (there's some that's about a year younger than what I've got).

    Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions though. It was
    much appreciated.

    John McCabe, Jun 29, 2009
  4. John McCabe

    Char Jackson Guest

    Thanks for the update and good luck!

    Char Jackson, Jun 29, 2009
  5. John McCabe

    darknetwork

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    India
    hello John,
    it seems to be little complicated problem....i need to know that are you using a single switch and how many pc's are you connecting to the switch..beside that what is ur TCP/IP configuration in the Lan Properties of the PC............can u ping the local router (192.168.1.1)......what is the delay in ms.....it should be less than 1 ms...plz give me the details.about ur IP address on the pC, Default gateway and the DNS addresses.......hope i would try my best......

    darknetwork, Aug 14, 2012
  6. John McCabe

    darknetwork

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    India
    as per my knowledge Dlink dir 655 has Giga bit ports in it..so one of aour community friends may be correct about the link negotiation....do you have a gigabit port on your pc.............because the routers LAN interface is working at 1 gbps......so this can be an issue while connecting between the router and the switch .....look into the switch that does it have a gigabit port....i am sure it does not have a gigabit port.,......so dont waste your time upgrading the Firmware version.u can try and buy a 4 port gigabit switch..then it will surely solve your problem....this is the logical reason why when you put switch in between ur router and pc looses connectivity whereas when the pc is directly connected it work fine..........this is just a logical suggestion...revert back so that i can understand the issue

    darknetwork, Aug 14, 2012
  7. John McCabe

    joseph jos121

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    When playing LAN games a switch or hub?

    I am planning on hosting a LAN party and we were going to all be playing the same game, Command and Conquer Kane's Wrath. I was wondering which would be better for use an ethernet hub or switch. I know they use different communications but not sure which would be best. Both are 10/100Mbps speed. So it won't matter on speed.Thanks for the help.

    joseph jos121, Sep 2, 2012
  8. John McCabe

    hafikaam

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    A very nice and informative topic i like it very much i love this post thanks for this. I will tell my all friends such a good site.

    hafikaam, Oct 3, 2012