    2) Outlook express seems to have problems remembering my POP email
    password... any ideas?

    Howie

    Howie, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Howie

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Howie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I recently dug up a 20 GB drive to replace my old 4.3 GB hard drive. I
    > cloned my old drive (with XXcopy) because I didn't want to go through the
    > big hassle of a total re-install. My cloned drive is now my main (and OS
    > drive), but I have a few annoying problems:
    >
    > 1) I commonly have trouble connecting to the internet. I re-installed my
    > NIC card drivers, but I still have the connection problem. any ideas?

    Perhaps you should contact your ISP to get the right DNS server TCP/IP
    settings.

    Mark Mandell, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Howie

    Robert Baer Guest

    Howie wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I recently dug up a 20 GB drive to replace my old 4.3 GB hard drive. I
    > cloned my old drive (with XXcopy) because I didn't want to go through the
    > big hassle of a total re-install. My cloned drive is now my main (and OS
    > drive), but I have a few annoying problems:
    >
    > 1) I commonly have trouble connecting to the internet. I re-installed my
    > NIC card drivers, but I still have the connection problem. any ideas?
    >
    > 2) Outlook express seems to have problems remembering my POP email
    > password... any ideas?
    >
    > Howie

    Never seen program problems on a copy before.
    Boot sector problems and hidden partition problems have been the most
    i have seen, if the destination drive is good.

    I know nothing about XXcopy - how good/bad it is, the limitations or
    quirks.
    Look very carefully at the documentation and make sure that a full
    "exact" copy is made.
    I would guess that a "copy" to a new and larger drive may not give
    partitions properly formatted in the additional space.
    If that is the case, there are two "fixes": a) copy to new with all
    resulting partitions being the same size as on the original; b)
    pre-format the new drive to match the new partition sizes and then do
    the copy.

    I have done this copy scheme for backup purposes since 500+Mbyte
    drives were considered the biggest that could be handled.
    Having an exact copy for backup can save *lots* of time and all
    personal data when the running drive goes bad.
    And it allows upgrading to larger drives, like you are trying.

    Robert Baer, Dec 20, 2004