    have any role to play if both the Serial Interfaces goes down(Line
    Protocol)?

    Thanks..

    Sabya, Oct 14, 2005

  2. :Can anybody help me in the following subject?

    :Situation 1. Router 1 (2500 series) have 2 Serial Interface connected
    :to 2 Branches. Loopback Interface is also configured for the Router &
    :is running OSPF as the Routing Protocol. Does the Loopback Interface
    :have any role to play if both the Serial Interfaces goes down(Line
    :protocol)?

    That sounds like homework or an exercise. People will often refuse
    to answer questions they perceive to be homework questions, as it would
    be unfair for the student to gain credit for the work of others.

    Tell us what -your- analysis and reasoning is, and if we see
    a misconception, we will point it out.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Sabya

    Sabya Guest

    Hi Mr.Walter,
    how r u?Nice meeting you again in the same field.
    But i couldn't find find out the reason what made you think that
    the question is from a homework schedule? I am not into any school
    where i have faced such questions.Infact i need to gain some more
    knowledge before taking up a small business unit project & one of my
    senior have asked to implement Loopback Interface while configuring the
    Routers.I thought to gain some knowledge from this group but your
    attitude regarding this question reminds me of the previous sorry tale
    ..May be Big Persons thinks big always like this. "I want to know what
    the practical utilisation of Loopback Interface in a Router ; specially
    whether it has any role during Interface (Protocol) downtime?" I think
    you have failed to understand the technical aspect of my question &
    your point of reply is again pulling us to the ugly point of
    distraction rather than helping me to gain some knowledge.
    If you feel you can help me for the technical aspect of the
    question,please find your time to answer it else please avoid any
    personal disfiguring.

    Sabya, Oct 17, 2005
  4. I was going to make the same reply, but Walter beat me to it. Plus

    Your question (reproduced below) is a classic textbook question
    on OSPF. It is answered in virtually every tutorial on setting up
    OSPF because it is fundamental to setting up a stable OSPF routed
    network. In other words, it is the kind of question which is very
    common for a student to ask yet would indicate horrible ignorance
    if asked by a network designer.
    OSPF has a very specific use for a specific loopback IP address which
    is fundamental to how the OSPF protocol works. There are also several
    other very common (and very important) uses for loopback addresses,
    but I'm assuming you're covering the OSPF chapter, not the network
    management chapter, at this point. EIGRP also cares about loopback
    interfaces, but for a different reason, so you'll want to understand
    that before you attempt to use EIGRP in a complex network.
    I think Walter understood "your" question much better you appear to.
    If this was a real networking question, it would come wrapped in an
    application context. As phrased, you could have easily answered your
    own question by investing a few minutes in Googling the appropriate
    terms or reading any of the text books you have which cover OSPF
    network design (or any of Cisco's design guides if you have not
    purchased any good reference books).
    I agree with Walter. If you're not willing to take time to read any
    of the fine references available for free on the web, why should we
    invest our time helping you out? Nothing personal, but this news
    group is active enough without the deluge of homework questions
    which appear every year around mid-term and final exam season. If
    this actually is a legitimate self-study question, it is merely
    posted to the wrong newsgroup and you should try again on the cisco
    certification news group, but be forewarned that as you have framed
    the question, you can expect to be flamed there as well, although
    you may get it answered by some eager beaver CNE wannabe anxious
    to show off their new found knowledge.

    Good luck and good hunting!

    Vincent C Jones, Oct 17, 2005
  5. :Hi Mr.Walter,
    : how r u?Nice meeting you again in the same field.
    : But i couldn't find find out the reason what made you think that
    :the question is from a homework schedule?

    Because the question was obviously copied from somewhere else.
    People who ask self-written questions do not start out with
    "Situation 1" [at least no without going on to Situation 2].
    They also don't ask open ended questions about "the effect" that a
    feature has on another feature: they ask -specific- questions.

    I didn't pay any attention at the time to who had posted the question,
    but seeing as it is you, I have further indicators: namely that the
    the English phrasing and sentance structure of the question
    was significantly different than anything I have seen you write. When
    you are phrasing sentances yourself, you use l33t-speak like "how r u";
    your capitalization is inconsistant; you usually leave out the
    space after a period; and your nouns are not always pluralized correctly.
    I do not say this to insult you, only to point out that the question
    posted was clearly not one that you had written yourself.

    :I think
    :you have failed to understand the technical aspect of my question &

    I did understand the technical question, but historically, our
    experience has been when someone obviously copies a question from
    somewhere else, that -they- do not understand the technical question.

    :your point of reply is again pulling us to the ugly point of
    :distraction rather than helping me to gain some knowledge.
    :If you feel you can help me for the technical aspect of the
    :question,please find your time to answer it else please avoid any
    :personal disfiguring.

    I did not engage in any 'personal disfiguring'. I gave you advice.
    I said that your question "appears" to be homework or an assignment
    (and it certainly did so appear.) I said that if people "perceive"
    your question that way, that they will tend to be displeased,
    and I offered a short explanation of why they would feel displeased.

    I then indicated to you what you could do to reach a wider audience:
    namely, to post -your- take on the question and -your- reasoning
    about it: when people get the impression that you are trying for yourself
    but that you've just misunderstood something, then people are often
    quite willing to be of assistance.

    This newsgroup is not a library, and it is not an organization
    of free tutoring and free consulting: this newsgroup is composed of
    *people*, some of whom mostly read and some of whom read and respond.
    The people who respond seldom like to feel they are taken advantage of:
    they often don't mind -helping- someone, but they don't want to feel
    that they are doing all the work (especially if the question gives
    the impression that the other person is likely to get credit for the
    answer.)

    Hence, if you want to get the best answers out of this newsgroup,
    instead of just posting a copied question, explain what you already
    know about the question, and describe the various possibilities
    of interpretation that you see; when you do that, people are -much-
    more likely to point you in the right direction (and might even
    explain why the other alternate possibilities don't work, which can
    be information that is ten times as valuable.)

    :If you feel you can help me for the technical aspect of the
    :question,please find your time to answer it else please avoid any
    :personal disfiguring.

    If this had been comp.lang.c, the answer from other posters would
    have simply been,

    "Send us the email address of your course instructor, and we will send
    the answer to him."

    But that's not what I did: instead I explained what the problem was
    with the way the question was put to us, and I explained what you
    needed to do in order to get a better answer.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Sabya

    saqlainmalik

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    to walter:

    i think instead of writting all this theory you should have answer his question , that could save time of both of you..

    saqlainmalik, Mar 7, 2012